Where to sleep at night?

Thread: Where to sleep at night?

DashsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhere to sleep at night?

Dash is now over 7 months old, and for the most part, hes doing really well with very little biting/chewing/acting out issues. Now I have another older dog and I want Dash (my lab) to start sleeping outside of the kitchen where we gate him in at night. Is this a good age to start this, and should I keep the 2 dogs separate at night (one in one room and the other in another) ?

Any suggestions of something creative any of you all have done in this beginning satge with 2 dogs?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Where to sleep at night?

I don't have any advice about what age is best to let him sleep outside of the kitchen, (I'm also interested in what others have to say about it) but I let both of my dogs sleep together. They sleep in my bedroom. Brigetta usually sleeps at the foot of the bed, and will occasionally sleep on the bedroom floor. When I first let her sleep outside of her crate I kept my door shut so she couldn't roam and get into anything. She'll be 7 months September 1st and for the past couple of weeks I've been leaving the door open and she stays in the bedroom until she is ready to go out in the morning,

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I don't know if your crating him at this moment. But I would try and do it in stages. If you can keep him in a confined room off of the kitchen with baby gates I'd start with that. After a couple of weeks if he has done well no misbehaving or accidents give him more responsibility. If there are problems move back to the step before for a couple more weeks.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yes, hes crated only when Im not home, but hes been sleeping in the kitchen with the baby gates for over 2 months now, with just a few chewing mishaps. Like I said hes doing really well, so thats where im at now....id like him to be able to sleep out of the kitchen in the living room or bedroom, but im still a little apprehensive about it and wanted to hear what stories and advice you all had.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

If you think he is ready, go ahead and do it. It won't hurt to try. Just make sure you dog-proof the room you are going to give him access too before you allow him loose.

wishingforjoy is offline Junior Member

Kenda will be 8 months on the 25th and she has been sleeping out of her crate now for as most 2 months. We first tried her in our bedroom with the door shut and then a couple nights with free run of the house, then back in our room for a night. For the past month she has had the freedom of the house. She actually lays on her bed in the kitchen or on the kitchen floor (cooler). In the morning she comes in our room to let us know she wants out. We wanted to try her out since she was crated all day while we were at work. We have only crated her once in the last 2 months, that is when she was sick.

She is starting now to not want to be crated now during the day. We feel she is way too young still and we aren't completely sure we trust her fully. We are going to try her an hour here and there to see how it goes.

Good Luck!
    Sherry
    What mom?<br />

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I would take down one of the gates, the one with the smaller room where he can do the least amount of damage. I would start letting him be out in the kitchen at least part of the day when your gone. If he does ok with this after awhile give him the same access during the day that you do at night. Eventually give him total acess at night before he has complete freedom during the day. Wire the crate door open so he can go in their if he wants to.
    Olie

Thats good thinking Oona's Dad. I will try that tonight for sure, and Ill try to leave him in the kitchen on the weekend, while Im out shopping or something so I can come back and check on him after a few hours, to see how he did. Thanks for the suggestion, that sounds like it would work out the best for us.