At what age to lab pups become problems?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: At what age to lab pups become problems?

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultAt what age to lab pups become problems?

Am I just lucky or do I have an eventful change in my future? Miles is amazing. I never have a probem with him. I am not complaining, but I wonder when it will suddenly change, or do I have a stepford dog? I swear, we were at a lab picnic with a pond and he came when I called him. Can you believe that? 20 d0gs, 10 acres, and a pond and he came when I called him. He did swim and play alot but still, when I wanted him, he came. Amazing Now, he's enjoying a bone on the front porch.

He's a very mellow, easy, boy.

I keep reading about all these pups and wonder about it.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: At what age to lab pups become problems?

I have wondered the same thing. Sami has been darn near perfect. One chewed USB cord, some shredded toilet paper, and snatched sock or two and that's been it. Part of it for me was that I did so much research on labs that I was expecting the worst. That's why I think she seems so easy.

And although I'd like to think it's due to my top notch training ;D, I know that I probably owe most of it to my breeder's diligence in breeding for temperament and in matching Sami w/ us. And of course, lots of exercise and daily training doesn't hurt either.

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

Before we ever got Tucker, I read this board a lot. I read about problems people had, and figured I'd have a lot of them too, and was at least prepared. For whatever reason (lucky like you?), I didn't have most of the problems I'd read about.

Our town's public pool shuts down Labor Day. Last year, after it closed, they had a day for dogs to swim at the pool. Tucker was 7 mos. old then. We took him. There were probably 50-75 or more dogs. His attention stayed right on me the whole time. We took a bumper, and he just kept going into the water after his bumper the whole time we were there; I'd call him out, and he came right back to me. Talk about surprised!

I will say that lately, he's not coming as quickly as he's always done...I have to call him a few times. But, that's because he's in the yard or field and just in no hurry.

It's just been my experience, so far, that I haven't really had many problems with Tucker, from the time he was a puppy. Maybe that's the way it'll be with Miles too.

(Over in Lab Chat, Linda1 is having a lab fest...we're going, so the story may change quickly on THAT day! haahaa)
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

I'd say it's just down to personality and temperament. My first Lab was easy right from the beginning and pretty much stayed that way. At the time I didn't realize my luck. My current youngster (now almost two) is slowly improving, but has been much more of a handful.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

Kassa was a menace from the start.She loved to chew. She ate telephone cords, chair legs, dug up gardens, you name it she did it. When she was about 12 months old she mellowed and stopped. She did have the odd chew.

I adopted Ernie and I was told he was good, but I suspect not. He was kept in a garage and didn't have access to household things. Now I have him he is like Kassa at 6 months of age. Chews everything and makes huge holes in things. Including a wall.

I think it is personality and temperament.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

But they are all loves, aren't they? ;D
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Emma has always been an angel She has never caused any BIG problems! She never chewed on things which didn't belonged to her when she was a pup... I think I'm blessed with a lab like her. ;D
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

She's beautiful too.

Emma the Lab is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MilesMom
    She's beautiful too.
    Thank you! Miles is a very handsome too
    ~Veronica and Nikki~
    Sweet Emma, 16th of February 1996~26th of November 2010
    Always in my heart and soul. Together forever, my love....

Nikki 6 months

http://theblacklabrador.blogspot.com/

Trickster is offline Senior Member

How old is Miles? as someone said, it is all down to personality. I notice that everyone who said how calm their dogs are have show type dogs which might play a part.

I had some problems with my lot, particularly my boys, who are both from competitive field lines. They are always on the go and will still happily get themselves in to trouble if their exercise needs are not forfilled.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast