Leash Training

Thread: Leash Training

Shawn is offline Senior Member

DefaultLeash Training

I am trying to leash train my 13 week old Lab.He walks just fine on the leash but likes to pull and jerk to get to where he wants to go.
    Right now I am trying to train him to sit when I stop and to walk beside me,not run in front of me pulling.I have decided not to use any kind of treats for this training since he gets the diarahha easy if he eats to much.He gets 2/3 cups every 8 hours now and that seems to work well.Not enough to fill him full but leave him a bit hungry.Right now I am using Pedigree but since I read thses forums and found out how not so good it is for the pups I am going to Purina in a few days,after he finishes the last bit of the Pedigree.
    I have been using praise when he does a good job.He always craves attention.(attention whore).
    Any other ideas I can use to make this go faster and smoother for both of us?I have t get this done soon before he is able to walk me.

Shawn
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Leash Training

There are many different methods of leash training...try this thread;

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...ic,7359.0.html

A lot of people posted there and gave some excellent advice. Also, if you look around the forum (use the search function if you are stuck) you will find tons of information on leash training.

With a pup, keep sessions short and upbeat. No need to use any training collars. Lots of praise. If you can't use treats, try baiting him with a favourite toy. Begin the foundations of teaching a formal 'HEEL' but don't push him. Sign up for a training class. The fact that he craves attention is a good thing...use it to your advantage.

You are right about Pedigree being a low quality feed. Purina isn't much better unless you are going with something like ProPlan. A lot of people (me included) on the forum use ProPlan with great success. That said, bear in mind that there are other excellent brands out there if you shop around.

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn
    I have been using praise when he does a good job.He always craves attention.(attention whore).

Shawn
    Sounds like praise is the perfect reward for this dog.

Consistency is key. Always have him walk on one side of you, correct him when he pulls, every time. It often takes a long time. Some say to become still when he pulls, some say turn and go the opposite direction. It may take months for you to get all the way down the driveway, but eventually he will get it.

I feed Innova, a natural dog food. I don't think additives and artificial colors are good for dogs.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Kathryn Guest

If treats are making your puppy sick try cherrios! We had the SAME trouble with baby Dakota and used Cherrios! They work VERY well!
    There are a few others here who use cherrios also
    Good luck

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Rather than treats you can train him with a clicker.
    Olie

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Some good leash pops and direction changes will get your puppy to listen. A leash pop is when you allow a little slack in the leash, then pulling up with a quick jolt, just enough to raise the head. You have a young light weight pup, so monitor your corrections. My dog is 70 lbs, so my corrections can be more forceful. You dont want to correct to the point your lifting the dog off the ground, just a good attention getter. Most dogs really dislike this. If your dog wants to walk out in front of you, instally hold the leash by two hands infront of your waste, and instally do a 180 degree turn. Dont brake stride, and dont look back for her, just do it! Usually the dog will be focused on whats in front of them and will give them a big jolt and sometimes completely turn them around. Over time of changing directions and these instances occuring, your dog will watch you for the direction changes. Dont get frustrated, usually your first few days you might not even make it far down the street. Heck you might not even make it a block. You want the dog to stop guessing the direction and looking at you for the change.

Allie walks by my side and occasionally tries to walk out in front. I catch her checking the distance between her and I, because she knows a correction will come if her butt is out past my knees. Now that Allie is trained, I can give a simple command and she will slow down, but every now and then I have to correct her.

It sounds like your also wanting an AUTO SIT. You want the dog to sit anytime on a leash and your not moving. If you dog doesnt know sit, you can use treats for this one, and stay inside where there are no distractions. Say sit, push the butt down give treat if you can do it without physical interaction. Once this is solid, take it on the road. Stop walking, give a sit command with a leash pop. If the dog sits, praise, else give an additional command with an additional leash pop. If still nothing, use a command and physical interaction of pushing on the butt.

If your an e-collar person, let me know, some of these things might differ. If you need more info on how to teach a good sit, let me know that as well..
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

Shawn is offline Senior Member

I have been working with him alot and have had god results so far.He isn't pulling me near as bad and when I don't want him where he is,I pop the leash and he comes with me.And I almost have him sitting next to me when I stop.He doesn't do it all the time,but 75% of the time which is better.
    I fixed the treat problem,I have been using his regular food for a treat.Since he is always looking for food,it works out great.I feed him 4 cups a day,which I think is to much but his weight is fine.Not overweight.Since I have changed to Pro Plan he is doing better then before.
    Thanks for the advice.

Shawn
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]<br />