Snake Proofing

Thread: Snake Proofing

MTI Guest

DefaultSnake Proofing

While considering a move to Arizona recently, I was advised that "snake proofing" the dog might be a good idea. Apparently there are trainers that use e-collars to train dogs to avoid the smell, sound and sight of venemous snakes. I know the majority of snakes out there won't hurt a dog or human, but there are the exceptions. Has anyone had their dog "snake proofed"? Was it difficult and more important, was it worthwhile?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Snake Proofing

I live in Arizona and all my dogs have been snakeproofed. I feel it is definitely worth the money and the time. In the Tucson area I recommend Buhrkes Kennel.

MTI Guest

Thanks for the reply. How did the training go and what kind of reaction do you get from the dogs if they encounter a snake? Do the dogs have to be "refreshed" with follow up training. Thanks again.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

The recommendation is to do a "refresher" course in one year ( I don't think there is a charge for the refresher). I took one of my dogs 5 years later and she refused to go anywhere near the snake. As soon as she smelled the snake, she just wanted to get the he** out of there.

Several years after the snakeproofing we encountered a snake on a walk and our Lab jumped straight up and back. The dog seemed to smell the snake first, then saw the snake. Again he just wanted away from it.

The training involves several parts. One where the snake is defanged and able to strike at the dog, the rattles are also taped at this point. This is so the dog will smell the snake before seeing or hearing the snake. The dog is lead to the area where the snake is and allowed to find it. As soon as the dog smells and see the snake they are shocked. The next test is where the snake is in a wire cage with rattles intact and if the dog does not immediately try to avoid the snake, gets shocked again. RARELY does the dog require a second shock.

A very worth while expense here in the desert.

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Wow! I never knew you could snake proof a dog!
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Mel
    Mel is offline Senior Member

Very interesting........though I'm extremely thankful that 'snake proofing' isn't necessary where we live.

zoesmom is offline Senior Member

Wow, very interesting. I wonder if Zoe can be "bee proofed"
    Linda and Zoë, the Umlaut
    Honolulu, Hawaii

[

MTI Guest

In doing some research, apparently there is scorpion proofing too.