Need some tips for helping a 3yo deal with a puppy and vice versa
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some tips for helping a 3yo deal with a puppy and vice versa

franklinlabs is offline Junior Member

DefaultNeed some tips for helping a 3yo deal with a puppy and vice versa

Hello all,
    If you read my intro post, then you know what I am asking about, if not, then let me run through it again.

We have had a wonderful female Chocolate Lab named Mocha for the last 3.5 years. She is the ultimate laid-back, sweet, gentle, everyone's buddy Lab in our opinion. We now have a 10 week old male Chocolate Lab named Java. He is the typical high-energy, nipping, playing, happy puppy. He is too high-energy for Mocha. Mocha likes to chill on the floor at our feet. Java likes to run and nip at her trying to get her to play all the time. Mocha doesn't appreciate that and she usually responds by leaving the room or hiding behind something. Hiding doesn't work too well since Java is small enough to get into any spot she may be in.

We have tried to show Mocha lots of individual attention, private play/rubbing time, feed her first in private, let her go out the door first, etc... We keep Java on a collar and leash around her so we can keep him from nipping at her. This has been working pretty well so far, but we don't want to have to keep him leashed forever even in the house. I know he will calm down eventually and won't play so rough, but we would like to help them get adjusted to each other sooner rather than later.

I would love to hear from any of y'all that have brought new lab pups home to live with your adult dog. Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!
    Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Servant2Lexus is offline Member

DefaultRe: Need some tips for helping a 3yo deal with a puppy and vice versa

Honestly, I personally think it is best to let the dogs work it out for themselves...

We had a Beagle puppy around Christmas time (who unfortunately is gone now; medical reasons; long story there) and he would do the exact same thing to Lexus... She hated him annoying her.

It bothered me at first to see him pestering her so much. I tried to correct him; nothing worked. So, I said "forget about it"...

It continued as normal for about two days... The night of the third day, Lexus had enough. He was bothering her and bothering her, she was growling at him (nothing threatening just warning growls), but he wouldn't listen; just like always. Finally she jumped up, pinned him to the floor with her chest and snarled really loud right into his face... She immediately got off of him and walked away. You should have heard him screaming; you would have thought she murdered him... I just left him alone (because I knew she didn't hurt him physically in any way) and he sat there for about 5 minutes just screaming his head off.

After that, there was little trouble between them. Yes, he would go over and nip at her and try and get her to play, but as soon as she growled that she wasn't in the mood, he listened right away from that night on...

Obviously with this situation, someone would have to know their own dogs well enough to know what was going on wasn't an "attack" or anything like that. Lexus just had enough one night and that was it.

Mind you, Lexus is a very submissive Labrador which is why I felt bad at first... But in the end, honestly, your dog will teach that puppy a lot faster (and more) than you ever could. Perhaps you need to just let them work it out. One day she will have enough and she will tell him off. That will register with him like nothing you have ever told him.

Their social rank in your family will have to be worked out between just them in order for there to be no future problems. She might just be a totally submissive type dog and you're really not going to be able to do much about that.

I know how hard it is to watch, but letting them work it out for themselves is really the best thing you can do.

When Lexus wanted to get away from our puppy, she would either jump up onto the couch or the bed (somewhere he couldn't get to). Fortunately for her, being a Beagle puppy, he wasn't very big and couldn't jump up. When he got old enough to jump up, he had to learn from us that only Lexus was allowed up on the couch and the bed. (He did well with that.) That provided her with a place to be safe from his sharp puppy teeth.

Also, the more that Lexus wasn't around him the more he wanted to go after her... We tried to limit their interaction at first because of the nipping and everything, but it actually made it worse after they had been separated. Once we just left them together and let them work it out he quickly realize that "Hey, this girl isn't much fun. She's boring. I'm going to play with my toys instead."

Ok, ok... This post is getting a little long... lol... So, anyway, my suggestion is to just not worry about it so much. They will work things out between themselves. She will teach him good manners when she has had enough.

Hope after you read this whole thing it actually helped you some... Sorry for the length!* :P
    *~ Sarina ~* - Proud servant to Lexus...<br />

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

My stepdaughter's lab, Bailey, finally did that with Miles and now they get along great. Again, I knew Bailey wouldn't hurt Miles, he just finally needed to say "Look squirt, I was here first and when I say enough, it means enough!"
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your stories! We were just worried that they wouldn't work it out and become lifelong enemies or that Mocha would feel so put out by the pup that it would change her wonderful personality. We picked Java up last week from a guy who bought him, but couldn't spend enough time with him. We took him home on a "trial basis" to see how the dogs would interact. Yesterday marked a week with Mocha and they seem to be doing a little better. Now we are thoroughly attached to the little guy so I figure the "trial" is over and we want to make this work.

Maybe this evening we'll turn them both out in the yard where they have plenty of room to run and let them have some supervised interaction. Maybe Mocha will "put the smack down" on Java tonight and some rules will be set. Usually I will break it up if Java really starts going after her, but I'll try letting go longer and see what happens.

Thanks again and further tips will be appreciated ;D

Sparemom is offline Senior Member

I think it's great to have an older "dependable" dog put a pup in it's place. Zora is 4 months and I take her to doggy daycare so she can have some type of dog socialization. I really wish we had an older dog to "train" Zora in doggy ways!, and have a playmate, but hubby says no way!!!
    <br />ZORA

Well, we had lots of together time yesterday evening. Mocha did lots of running away and yelping while Java did lots of chasing and bitting. Sometimes Mocha will stop running, turn, and snarl/bark at Java and that will hold him off for a few seconds, but then the "attack" is on again. Sometimes Mocha will just stand there and let Java bite her leg. If that doesn't work, then he looks for a more sensitive spot like her underside or ears.

They had more play time this morning before work. More of the same stuff, but it didn't seem to last as long. There may be slight signs of improvement. I hope so, because it is about all we can take to watch Mocha running and yelping from this tiny little puppy. :'(

I think you should let them work it out, but there is still nothing wrong with some intervention, a little time out here and there for java. But in the end, they'll have to sort it out.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

deneen is offline Senior Member

Mocha will let him know when she has had enough. I know it's hard, she sounds like such a doll baby, but she can communicate with him better then you can. It really is best to try to let them work it out but ultimately you are the "boss" and if you don't like it Java needs to know that.

Thanks, we'll try again this evening and see how it goes. I feel like we're watching a boxing match. We're sitting ringside saying, "Come on Mocha, show him who's boss. Don't let him nip you like that. Whack him with one of your big paws."

Here's some pics of the pups. One of Mocha and Java. One of Java under the La-Z-Boy.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Awww! They are so sweet when they are sleeping!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast