Crazy Pup!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crazy Pup!

jeffsmommy is offline Junior Member

DefaultCrazy Pup!

Does anyone have any advice for me? I am trying to train my lab puppy and he just doesn't get it. He destroys everything in his path. Even after I remove everything he decides to instead chew the drywall or baseboards. He demolishes anything paper, tears apart the garbage, chews his dog bowls to shreds, chews plates and cups. I am in shock. I have had many dogs, never a lab, and never have they been this misbehaved. If I yell at him he just looks at me with his head kind of cocked to the side, like he really doesn't care. He is very loving and very affectionate, but he is very very very energetic. When we are at the park he goes nuts, more so than any other puppy there, even the other lab pups. He has been attacked three times already by other dogs and now we can't even bring him out, because when he plays he plays really very rough and we can't get him to stop. He has been to puppy school, it was a waste of money. He is a lumbering fool, and I love him dearly, but I need some help for this horrible behaviour!
    Jeff's Mom Tiffanie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MyOliver is offline Member

DefaultRe: Crazy Pup!

Sounds like that pup really needs some exercise If you can't let him off the lead have you tried extending leads, or maybe take him out first thing/last thing at night for his "burn off energy" run when there are not so many other distractions/dogs around. From my experience lab pups are extremely destructive unless given lots of play. This includes mental stimulation too. How about a kong, so he has to work at getting the food out. ???

Trickster is offline Senior Member

How old is your dog? is he crate trained? why was puppy training "a waste of money"?

Crate him when he can't be supervised and give him LOTS of exercise. As well as exercise, he needs mental stimulation and training.

Puppies chew...it is part of the package. Provide him with plenty of toys and bones to satisfy his needs.*

Puppies play rough...this is also part of the package. Arrange some play dates for him.

Sign him up for puppy classes and teach him how to behave. It can take a while but it is well worth it in the end.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ditto to what Trickster and MyOliver said...

EXERCISE (puppy play dates are best)

MENTAL STIMULATION!!! Do you train with your pup every day? Do short 10 minute sessions.

I too want to know why puppy class was a waste?
    ~Lindsay

ds77755 is offline Member

Our first puppy class was also a nightmare (and at the time, I thought a "waste"). But this was our own fault, as we were not exercising Lola enough. With labs, the old adage, "A tired pup is a good pup" couldn't be more true. Since then we've made sure Lola gets at least 1 or 2 days of day care a week, daily training (even if its just 10 mins) and daily walking (more for the mental stimulation & release...dogs by nature are moving creatures - walking may not tire them out, but at least it takes "the edge" off).

Labs are not like other dogs...that's why we love them, right?
    Dominic &amp; Ellie<br /><br />

putertutor is offline Senior Member

Like everyone said, exercise, exercise, exercise...walking with labs isn't enough. Do you have an area near you for swimming/retrieving? When you leave him what kind of chew toys are you leaving him with? How many hours is he alone?

How old is he? Has he always done this or is he teething? If you're not crate training him, you should....You can't let him destroy your house, it's not good for your house and it's not safe for him.
    <br /><br />http://www.lexiethelab.com<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />http://lexiethelab.com/shopping-resources

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I agree with the others.* The typical Lab pup has lots of energy and if this isn't burned off by sufficient VIGOROUS exercise daily, they grow stir crazy.

Retrieving is* great exercise, and swimming retrieves are even bettrer.* Look for fenced in ball fields or playgrounds in your area you can use (but take plastic bags to pick up poop).* And/or as others suggested, playdates with other dogs.* But exercise must be daily and it must be vigorous.

You may find this thread has some relevance:

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...c,13826.0.html
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Hi there! Welcome! You've already received very good advice.

One thing you said in your post that concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsmommy
    now we can't even bring him out, because when he plays he plays really very rough and we can't get him to stop.
    If you isolate this dog because of his behavior it will only get worse. You already sound like you are reaching the end of your rope with this pup. Please, please, please take the advice you've gotten so far. Also, I would recommend finding a trainer that will work with you with this pup. After a session with the trainer, do what the trainer says. Every day! When starting a young lab, they may say 15-20 minutes of training time per day. That increases with older dogs and more advanced training. But, you have to stick with it and do it daily, in addition to the excersize.

<br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

I would just add - that you can train ALL THE TIME!! If setting aside allotted times for exercise AND training is too much for your schedule - just work in training. You can do stuff while watching TV or making dinner. If you are a parent - you will understand that. A puppy is just like having a baby/toddler. Every instance and new situation is an opportunity for training.

Have you trained high-energy pups before? If not - you could try a lot of reading about how to train dogs. Don't stick with one author, try several and get a smattering of advice across the board. This will help you manage the situation better - tools of the trade. If that one puppy class didn't work for you - evaluate honestly why - and try another one. Good luck!
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

jeffsmommy is offline Junior Member

Just to answer everyones questions, Jeffrey is 6 months old. No I have never had a high energy dog like this before. I have had other dogs, collies, cocker spaniels, poodles, but never a lab. He is only left at home alone around three hours max. He is not crate trained but we have a really nice solarium that we leave him in. He is actually really good about peeing and pooing outside. He hasn't had an accident in forever and it only took us like a week to train him to do that. But other than that it is horrible. It makes me sad because I have always been a dog lover and I really feel like I am not enjoying him. I take him to the dog park every day when I get home for a good hour and a half or so. He goes nuts, jumping in the pools and running and playing, but he has been attacked the last three times we have gone and so I havent wanted to take him back. He has umpteen chewing toys. He has kongs, balls, chew toys, bone, and they are all in various shapes sizes and colours. The reason why puppy school was a giant waste of money was because it did absolutely nothing!! At all! Even the two instructors/ trainers were like " wow, he really is crazy" and then didnt really have anymore suggestions after that. He didnt listen at all when we were there he just went completely psycho and never stopped. He hasnt been fixed yet either, he is going next week. No I am not a parent so this is a little new for me. All the dogs I had prior were trained by my mom, I was too young. I am only 22 now, so this is a strange thing to be doing. I feel like I am doing something wrong, even though I try everything. No we didnt crate train him. We tried for two weeks but kept coming home to piles of poo in the crate and pee and poo all over him and blood on the floor from him trying to chew his way out. One time we came home to his snout stuck in the crate bars and that was it for me, it seemed cruel. Anyways, I still love him I am just totally exhausted of ideas.
    Jeff&#039;s Mom Tiffanie

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast