Hi! New here! Question on new puppy and time alone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi! New here! Question on new puppy and time alone

Parafly9 is offline Senior Member

DefaultHi! New here! Question on new puppy and time alone

Hi eveyone, glad to be here! My new (we were married on july 15) wife and I just brough home our new chocolate lab, Maui, from a breeder yesterday. Maui is nine weeks old. We are ecstatic so far with our purchase, he is a delight to have around our apartment in Cumberland, RI (1200 square feet pet friendly place). I have a few questions about what to expect in the next few weeks:

1. We have a crate for her and put it in our bedroom. He has been good about it so far. Last night he was quiet the whole night except for a few yelps at 2:30 AM, but that only lasted for maybe two minutes. Are they supposed to be in the crate all night long? If they start really whining, do you just ignore them? It is hard to be tough to that adorable face.

2. My wife and I both work. She is a schoolteacher, though, and isn't going back to school untill early September, so we have three weeks of full contact. Maui will be about 12 weeks old at that point. I work long hours at work (usually out the door at 5:45 and home around 5:45) but her hours will be around 8AM to 4PM or so. (door to door). Should we get doggie daycare, or a walker for noontime walk? Neither of us work close enough that we can come home during lunch.

3. How far can we walk him? Yesterday we took Maui on a walk to the end of the road and back, about 20 minutes round trip. Is this reasonable?

4. He doesn't seem to be eating all of his food. We made sure to keep him on the same diet as the breeer had him on (Purina puppy chow), although we did buy him the better food (preferred plan or something).

Thanks for all the advice! I look forward to posting here more and getting a picture of our new pup up soon!
    <br />[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hi! New here! Question on new puppy and time alone

Hi there and welcome! Congrats on the new puppy. Great name! Is that where you honeymooned?

1. Yes, you should crate her all night. At this age, she may need a potty break during the night, but try to avoid that so she learns that nite nite is time to lie down and rest. Not a play time. You definitely want her crated while you are sleeping, not at home or busy doing something that keeps you from supervising her.

2. I would recommend finding someone who can let her out midday. Even come September, 8-4 will be a long day with no break. That way, if something happens and your wife gets home later than planned, it won't be a big deal.

3. 20 minutes seems like a long walk for a 9 week old pup but I'd just watch him and see what he needs.

4. I'd change to a higher quality food if I were you but do it gradually to avoid stomach upset. You are definitely right to start with what the breeder used, then gradually move her over. Good quality foods are not sold in the grocery store typically. There are lots of good ones out there, though and dog stores.

Good luck with the new pup!
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Hi eveyone, glad to be here! My new (we were married on july 15) wife and I just brough home our new chocolate lab, Maui, from a breeder yesterday. Maui is nine weeks old. We are ecstatic so far with our purchase, he is a delight to have around our apartment in Cumberland, RI (1200 square feet pet friendly place). I have a few questions about what to expect in the next few weeks:

Hello and Welcome!! Maui is a cute name

1. We have a crate for her and put it in our bedroom. He has been good about it so far. Last night he was quiet the whole night except for a few yelps at 2:30 AM, but that only lasted for maybe two minutes. Are they supposed to be in the crate all night long? If they start really whining, do you just ignore them? It is hard to be tough to that adorable face.
    At nine weeks you probably want to still give Maui a middle of the night potty break. You can phase that out later but he's probably telling you he needs to go pee.

2. My wife and I both work. She is a schoolteacher, though, and isn't going back to school untill early September, so we have three weeks of full contact. Maui will be about 12 weeks old at that point. I work long hours at work (usually out the door at 5:45 and home around 5:45) but her hours will be around 8AM to 4PM or so. (door to door). Should we get doggie daycare, or a walker for noontime walk? Neither of us work close enough that we can come home during lunch.
    Definitely a noontime walker or doggy day care. We did doggy day care 1 day per week and were able to come home the other for days of the week for a lunch break. Rule of thumb for how long they can hold it is their age in months plus one. Soooo... a 12 week (or 3 month old) should be able to hold it for 4 hours. We started leaving Ender in his crate all day (8 hrs) when he was 6 months old. Check with your vet first on vaccinations before doing the doggy day care. Doggy day care IS a godsend provided you have a good one. It was so nice to have one day per week where Ender was so exhausted when we go him home that we didn't have to exercise him at all for that day.

3. How far can we walk him? Yesterday we took Maui on a walk to the end of the road and back, about 20 minutes round trip. Is this reasonable?
    Reasonable yes. Be careful on exposing a young pup though too early. At this age, playing around the house or in the yard is "enough" exercise and you want him to be fully vaccinated before exposing him to the outside world.

4. He doesn't seem to be eating all of his food. We made sure to keep him on the same diet as the breeer had him on (Purina puppy chow), although we did buy him the better food (preferred plan or something).
    Hmmm... perhaps he's a self regulator. Remember that the feeding instructions on the bag are usually wrong... you have to work out what is best for your dog... I allways feed slightly below the recommended unless Ender is getting extra exercise... I also cut back his meal if we are doing a lot of training that day.

Thanks for all the advice! I look forward to posting here more and getting a picture of our new pup up soon!
    We love pictures!!! (In the Help Desk section there is a Frequently Asked Question board where I posted some info on how to insert pictures into your signature and posts... lemme know if you need help doing that)
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

Congratulations on the new marriage* *

As far as nighttime crating, the whining could be to go out to potty.* Lots of puppies go out 1-2 (sometimes more) times during the night for a week, or up to a few weeks after coming home...they all differ.* Mine went out twice a night a few nights, then once a night a few nights, then after a week or so, slept all night.* If he needs to go potty, it's out for potty and right back into the crate (so he doesn't start playing during the night).*

I think someone to come in at noon to walk (and feed, if you're feeding 3x/day) is a good idea.* That's still young to be crated that long through the day.

Actually, this young, you don't really need to walk him at all.* Just playing in the yard, him romping and following you around, is about all the exercise he needs, I think.* It's better for puppies to be on grass (soft surface) than asphalt and/or concrete.

As far as not finishing food, it depends on how much he's getting, perhaps.* From 8 weeks, ours was getting 3/4 c. 3x/day (moistened with warm water, per our breeder).* Around 5-6 mos., it was 3/4c. - 1 c. 2x/day (dry).

Good luck...sounds like he's doing very well so far, with the crate.* *
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Good advice from everyone.

I don't have much to add, other than you shouldn't be walking your puppy until he has completed his set of vaccinations. After that, a sensible rule of thumb to follow is the 5 minute rule --5 minutes of exercise per month of age. The rule is certainly not set in stone but sticking roughly to it will help protect your pups growing joints from stress. 20 minutes of walking is too much for a 9 week old. As you live in an apartment, stick to playing outside wherever possible. By all means get him used to the leash but don't push him to walk that far just yet.

Rocksypup is offline Member

Not much to add - some great advice already posted.
    All I would say though is to make sure Maui is properly socialized as a pup. They say a puppy's views on people and other dogs will be cemented before he is 12 weeks old - and there should be as much contact as possible with as many people, dogs and other animals before that age.

Saying that - and this is where I went wrong - puppies aren't fully vaccinated at that age so I tried to keep Rocksy away from other dogs when she was pre-12 weeks, to the point where I think I didn't socialize her properly (she is a complete nutter when it comes to meeting other dogs now).
    I don't know what the solution is to that issue - but I will certainly be asking when I get my next puppy many years from now!

Parafly9 is offline Senior Member

Hi everyone, thanks for all the great advice so far!

The crate has been getting better, even after just two days. Last night we went to bed at around 11 and she went in the crate. We coaxed him in with a Kong. He cried for about 5 minutes then started snoring.

One odd behavior that is bothering me is that he doesn't seem to be eating. I have been giving him treats for good behavior (pooping outside, sitting when asked, going into his crate) but this morning he was refusing those as well, and he doesn't touch his dog food. Last night I was hand feeding him (he seems to like eating from my hand but just one piece of food at a time).

I wonder if it is just because of the new home? SHould I leave food out, or if he doesn't eat just take it away and tough luck untill the next meal?
    <br />[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]<br />

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

I don't know why he is not eating, it could just be the trauma of adjusting to a new home. I'd give it a few days and then call the vet if he doesn't start eating.

I do not think leaving the food out is a good idea. It makes potty training more difficult. I think that it's best to feed a puppy 3x per day. Put the food down and leave it down for 15 minutes or so. Whatever he leaves, take it up and then put his portion down at the next feeding etc. Free feeding also tends to make a dog a more finicky eater, I am told, but I don't understand the psychology behind that.

My stepdaughter's 4 year old lab is used to free feeding. He eats a few bites here and there. Well, when he comes to stay at our house, we can't do that because Miles will eat all the food. Bailey learned fast about eating at meal time. By the second meal, he knew, he better eat now or he won't have the opportunity for a few hours.

<br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

Congrats on your new marriage and Maui!
    We are going to be new lab parents in a few weeks ourselves so I welcome your questions.

We are planning to crate also and I work in the school system myself. I will be leaving each morning around 8:30 and will return by 3:30. With a 7.5 week old puppy ~ my question is when I come home at lunch time (I only get a half hour total) how can I realistically feed her and get her outside ~ won't she mess by the time I return again at the end of the day?? As she will likely need to have to 'go' after eating. :
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

Ranger came home with us at 7 weeks. He barely ate the first few days. Freaked me out...but then I remembered...the dog will eat when he's hungry.

Also - I did NOT give him any treats for quite awhile (weeks actually)- just used praise and hand affection. Cut out the other treat food for a bit and he will eat. And also - you are training him to equally love praise and sweet talk - as opposed to only treats. Cause I figure you might not have a treat one day and want him to do something!
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast