Eating poop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating poop

scarletsmom is offline Junior Member

DefaultEating poop

My Lab, 4.5 mos, started eating out of the litter box about three weeks ago. We now keep her out of that room but when we take her on walks she picks up the bird poop around a near by lake. We tell her NO, DROP IT, if she doesn't drop it I will pry open her jaw. She knows it's bad b/c she trys to run when she sees me notice or gives me the guilty look. I am feeding her twice a day, each time 1 cup. It really upsets me and I know she doesn't want to be in trouble. Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lizzie-May is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Eating poop

Sorry, no advice but just to say that my 10 month old has always ate poop, not her own but any other she comes across.. I am upset by it too... I think it is quite common though (so I've been told..).

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I wouldn't worry...its normal. Rather then let her do her own thing on walks, interact with her. Call her back for treats, play ball, work on some obedience as you walk, keep her distracted. Either that or leash her past the poop. She is probably just being a typical greedy Labrador but you should also make sure you are feeding her enough...she may need more than 2 cups/day as she is growing rapidly. Mine were on 3-4 cups a day at that age. Ask your breeder if you are worried.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing, Trickster.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

TimC. is offline Senior Member

I don't know, once they get the taste of that stuff (goose, deer poop) its hard to make them stop. As a safeguard I give Oona Drontal Plus twice a year.
    Olie

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

What is Drontal plus?
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

I doubt it has anything todo with actually being hungry. I suggest really working/enforcing "leave it" with high value items.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

scarletsmom is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I'd love to know what drontral plus is. We are being very strick with Leave it and drop it. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks Again

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Drontal Plus is a pill I get at the vet that I give Oona twice a year. Because we are at the lake or hiking in the woods everyday we come across deer and goose scat often. Both critters especially deer, are hosts to some wicked parasites. The Drontal Plus inoculates her from anything we might encounter.
    Olie

kdalechek is offline Member

Lucy loves cat poop too!!

One day she was trying to sneak a "treat" and I caught her with her head in the litter box. She tried pulling out real fast and got it stuck on her head! She was jumping all around the room with the litter box lid! I was scared at first because I didn't want her to hurt herself, but when I finally got the lid off I laughed like crazy! Where is the video camera when you need it! Needless to say she stays out of the litter box now. Fortunately for her, unfortunately for me, the cat often leaves her "treats" right outside the litter box.

Sorry I'm no help with your question, but I can relate!

Kristy<br />and Lucy<br /><br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast