Gotta stop with the chewing...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta stop with the chewing...

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultGotta stop with the chewing...

Ok I still can't make Buck stop chewing on my hands! It stopped for a short period of time after I put hot pepper paste on my hands but now we are back to square one. He will be sitting on my lap chewing on his toy and then suddenly decide my hands are better. I tell him NO BITE and give him his toy. But he will spit it out and it's back to my hands again! grrrr

I feel like this is something he won't grow out of....what else can I do? He seems to do this only to me. They are not hard angry bites or anything. More like gnawing and just chewing. Sometimes he tries to nibble on me with his front teeth. Other times he just rolls over on his back and tries to gnaw on my hands. I either get up and leave or put a toy in his mouth....Suggestions? *:
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

curly is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Gotta stop with the chewing...

Zakk is doing the same thing. I am attributing this behavior to his teething and wanting something different than all his toys to chew on ;D. I hope this stops because I find myself getting very upset after he does it so much. None of the normal corretions seem to work right now, it did get worse after he started teething...... he was doing pretty good before then.

AH! Dang it! I forgot to mention...Buck is done teething. He is 8 months old. :-[

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

When we're no longer talking little puppies (under 4 months old-ish) I start doing what I do to adult dogs. If the dog puts my hand in their mouth, I push my hand to the back of their mouth until they gag. It usually only takes once or twice for them to figure out that they don't like that. Big praise when they kiss instead of bite
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Oh! I never thought of that! Definitely going to start doing that. Maybe it will finally get through his thick skull that it's not cool to chew my hands... :P

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

I would distinguish the nibbles from the gnawing. Nibbles (or, in my house "corn niblets" ) are very affectionate--it's a grooming behavior. If you don't like it, you can correct it, but I find it sweet and quite harmless.

As for gnawing, you can do the aversive Nicole recommends. Or have you tried shouting OUCH! and putting him in another room alone for a minute? The way I try to think of it is that the dog is doing this with something in mind. "Ooh, let's play. This is how I let you know I want to play." Your job is to totally misinterpret this. "Oh, every time you put your teeth on me, you are asking IMMEDIATELY to be put in the bathroom with the lights off for a minute. OK, here you go!" Or, "Gee, you want my hand in the back of your throat? OK!" You want him to think, "Gosh, this woman is an idiot. I'm not going to try to play with her this way anymore."

excellent! thanks for the tips guys

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

You are inadvertently training a behaviour chain...your dog gnaws on your arm, then you give him a toy to play with. Sounds like you got the behaviour you trained here
    Having said that, do you think it is fair to shove your fingers down the throat of a dog that loves and trusts you when he is exhibiting behaviour that up till now you have encrouaged? Personally, I don't, especially when there is an equally effective method that doesn't cause discomfort to your dog.
    Mouthing is quite easy....dogs only like moving targets, so when he mouths you, say OUCH in a neutral voice and freeze completely...he will stop. As soon as he stops mouthing, praise him quietly and continue patting him after 10 seconds of good behaviour. If this isn't enough, hold him by the collar when you are patting him and when he mouthes, do the above and hold his collar so he can't continue.
    As for mouthing, I allow mouthing as long as it is soft. The reason is, I want to monitor the hardness of my puppy's mouth. ABI (acquired bite inhibition) is learned in the first few months, and what your puppy has at 6 months is what he will have for life. So by allowing your puppy to mouthe you, you can give important feedback on what is acceptable and what is too hard. Then when your puppy is over 6 months, you can ask for no mouthing at all (if you wish).
    Always remember that every dog can be provoked to bite. If you teach your dog ABI, you can feel a bit more comfortable knowing that if he is pushed to bite, he will do so with some inhibition and be careful to warn and not to harm. You can also feel comfortable when children get him revved up as he will show some care with the use of his mouth. If you do not allow your puppy to mouthe you, you will not have this luxury 8)
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

kassabella is offline Senior Member

A year ago before I adopted Ernie Kass and I would go the his previous owners house and he would nip my fingers. I hated it and would have to walk around with my hands in the air.

Once I got him I loudly yelped ouch each time he did it. I also made him gag if he kept it up. It took about a month and he hasn't done it since. He is very gentle now.

I once read mothers of puppies growl or yelp when the pup hurt them and we had to teach them not to bite. Kassa nipped as a pup and we all made exagerated yelping sounds and she very gently nipped if she wanted attention. This was a play thing so I allowed it.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

raidernation is offline Senior Member

Same problem here with our 6 mo. old. He does it to my son of course, my son gets him reved up good he is 9. Then yells MOM the dogs bitting again. I tell him he is not bitting you he is playin gand we have to stop him from playin that way. But I don't know how.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast