Just wanted to say thanks!

Thread: Just wanted to say thanks!

BudGirl8 Guest

DefaultJust wanted to say thanks!

I found the link for the "how to fit a prong collar" on here and the other tips for how to use it and really studied them last night.Then I put them to use this morning on our walk. What a sight to behold.

Billie had been walking at the end of her leash out in front of me, not pulling so much as just head down sniffing like a mad woman, then running in circles around me. Her prong was at the bottom of her neck because it kept sliding down (and worse I was actually putting it over her head - part of why she was so headshy!! BAD MOMMY!!) She would come back to my left side but still at the very end of her leash exploring rather than paying attention to me. Not good.

This morning, I put the collar on as instructed, tightened it up so it sits behind her ears and doesn't slide, and off we went. She was at my side the entire walk. Not quite on a loose leash but we'll keep working on it. She whined some but mostly because there were many rabbits and squirrels out today. She wanted to run like she had before but she knew that she couldn't. I didn't have to correct her. We practiced positioning her where I want her when I ask her to heel, and then I let her walk out a bit so she knows that not every second will be spent at a heel position. She came home calm instead of crazy. She even walked past a JRT that was growling and hissing at her, only stopping for a second to cock her ears, tip her head and then walk away. All I had to say was NOPE with a little pop of the collar...once!! JOY!!!

So thanks for posting the link...and for reinforcing that if it's used properly it can work. I knew it could, I just didn't know what I was doing wrong!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Just wanted to say thanks!

While prong collars look awful, they really are less harmful to the dog than even a flat collar if fitted and used properly.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

BudGirl8 Guest

Well, she'd improved greatly even with me using it incorrectly...and I feel like a dork for doing it wrong in the first place. Now that I've got it right, on day two we did even better. She did the stop and quiver for a squirrel this morning, she even hopped once, but didn't lunge. There was a huge boxer on a walk this morning that wanted to get WAY too personal both times we passed him and she didn't even lean toward him...it was so pleasant.

I knew the prong would work...the best part is I walk her using essentially three fingers and a very light touch on the leash. And not hearing that wheezing hacking choking sound from leaning on the collar and pulling is so nice. I know she feels better too. She's not panting and frantic when we get home.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

Thanks BudGirl8 for this post; after reading it I went & checked the post out & found I was fitting our prong collar too loose too, so we re-fit it last night.

Quote Originally Posted by BudGirl8
    I knew the prong would work...the best part is I walk her using essentially three fingers and a very light touch on the leash. And not hearing that wheezing hacking choking sound from leaning on the collar and pulling is so nice. I know she feels better too. She's not panting and frantic when we get home.
    We were in the same situation; Bailey pulled & wouldn't stop & wear herself when walking right away & we saw a huge improvment after using this collar.

Thanks again!
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

TimC. is offline Senior Member

It's like flicking a light switch on. This summer I have met two woman with Black Lab pups that were having a hard time walking their dogs. Both Asa and Buddy walk on a prong collar now and people are amazed at how well behaved they are.
    I wish I had money in the company that makes prong collars.
    Olie