Just a quick note to say that our vet has told us that grapes should never be fed to a lab. Apparently they play havoc with their renal system.
A lot of you probably already know this, but for I thought I would post it anyway for those who don't.
We like to feed Rocksy raw vegetables and fruit rather than stuff that will make her fat - but grapes are a definite no-no from now on!
Yup... thanks for the reminder. ;D
That good to know...I don't normally feed Charlie fruit (except bananas) but the kids might.
<br /><br />My work in progress.....Charlie
Yep, grapes, in very small numbers, can actually cause death to any dog.
~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />
Since my hubby doesn't frequent the lab boards, I had to stop him the other day from giving Grace a grape. When I told him the warning, he said that his parents two shelties that he grew up with (both lived to 14 and 16) ate grapes all the time. They would always give them to the dogs cuz they were funny...chewing the grapes and spitting out the skins. Are the toxins in the skins or the fruit itself? Maybe that's why it never hurt them...
Also the same goes for raisins -- DON'T FEED
Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]
Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
Grapes, who would've thought? I don't think an occasional grape or two will make them sick, but you just don't know where the breaking point is. Now that I know grapes are toxic, they are off limits!
<br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration "Miles" CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE
No raisins either since they are dried grapes.
<br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi
And no red wine either, presumeably! ;D
Oh no! Theo always gets a glass of Willamette Valley Pinot with his after-dinner cigar. How am I going to tell him?Originally Posted by Rocksypup