Puff was funny today -- (double retrieve)

Thread: Puff was funny today -- (double retrieve)

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuff was funny today -- (double retrieve)

Most everyone has seen the circus clown or vaudeville skit where a guy goes to pick up something but keeps kicking it away just as he reaches for it?*

That was similar to Puff today.

Puff likes to go out each afternoon at around 2 PM to pee and poop.* The peeing comes easily but exercise and a little running greatly encourages the poop the 90% of the time it's going to happen.

On our street, houses have front yards, a sidewalk, and then about 6 ft. of grass to the curb and street.

Long ago I found that bowling a softball or baseball as fast as I could down the sidewalk gave Puff something interesting to chase and 5 - 8X of that usually produced the desired result.

But lately, Puff's been anticipating me and trying to get a running start just as soon as I'm winding up.* That does cut down a lot on the distance she runs but it isn't that desirable for me.* And besides, she's breaking a command to "Sit STAY" that she used to have down pat.

So I thought I'd vary the routine a little and bowl 2 balls at 45 -60 degree angles to each other -- one on the yard, one on the sidewalk or the grass near the street.

Puff always prefers to get the last one thrown first while I've always preferred the first one first.

And I know from experience training my previous Lab that when first learning how to make a double retrieve there's a terrible temptation to pick up one, then the other, then the first, then the second, etc., vacillating between which one to retrieve first.

That happened one time today with Puff.*

She got the one on the grass and then ran to the one near the street (disobeying my command to "Come").* She was running fast as she dropped the first ball and reached for the second.* Her speed made the first ball roll about 50 feet up the street in the gutter.* She chased after it and then dropped the ball she had to grab the errant ball.* So the one she dropped rolled 50 more feet up the street.* This kept repeating until she was about 200-300 feet away from me.* FINALLY, she responded to my commands to "COME!"* and brought a ball back.* Then I sent her for the other.*

I was* chuckling all the time.*

Then she pooped and I bagged it.

Today's mission accomplished.

And Puff helped me form our lesson plan for tomorrow.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Puff was funny today -- (double retrieve)

I bet that was fun to watch! ;D

Sami just usually tries to stuff both things into her mouth at once. Sometimes she's actually successful.