Training to Fetch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training to Fetch

soonerbomb is offline Junior Member

DefaultTraining to Fetch

I've been trying to get my 2 puppies to play fetch, but neither of them seem like they are interested, they are just over 5 weeks. Is that too young of an age, or should already be trying to retrieve. I really try with the more hyper one because she seems like the one who is always ready to learn. The other girl just kinda sets there through everything and watches. But when i roll a ball or through it or toss their rope which they love they just kinda set there and stare at me like i'm stupid, any help please!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Newmommie06 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Training to Fetch

Well I don't have any technical answers for you, but I can say that I can relate. My Bailey didn't want to fetch anything the first two weeks that we got him. He was 10 weeks before he would actually chase after something. I would say they are probably still a little too young. He is three months and still gives me that look liike you want me to do what? HEHEHE....but each dog is different! I would maybe try different things to throw! That worked for us. Good Luck!!!
    Merry Christmas<br />

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

5 weeks is a little young to be in full retriever mode

But it's good play to start them chasing stuff (nice exercise too )

Remember it's in their nature to CHASE but not necessarily bring it back and then drop... that has to be taught. I would start in a hallway and take something round but soft and roll it past your puppy and see if you can get her to chase it... praise like heck when she does... if she picks it up... start to get really excited... do whatever to get her attention. You can also keep her leashed so when she does pick it up you can gently give her a little tug towards to and once she starts moving, praise praise praise.

Now I'm going to go into a little side note and give some unsolicitated advice....

Usually it is not a good idea to get two puppies at once (means twice if not more than twice the amount of work) and it is also not a good idea to get pups before they are 7-8 weeks old. I'm not telling you this to say you are bad, just letting you know that you will probably need to do a bit extra in the patience/training/bonding departments to compensate. It is going to be very important to train your pups seperately and bond with them individually. It is also going to be hard on you when they enter the teething phase as they missed on some of the bite inhibition learning they would have gotten with their mother around 7 weeks old.

There is some really excellent advice in the "Our Best Advice" thread, I suggest you lurk through there if you haven't allready.

Feel free to posts lots of questions, we will try to help you out as best as we can. Of course we would love to see pictures of your little darlings as well. ;D
    ~Lindsay

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Hmmm ... 5 weeks ... I don't think (but honestly, not an expert here) that at 5 weeks you should be expecting much more than wake, eat, play, pee and poop. At this age you probably shouldn't push the puppy into anything -- just encourage their natural curiosity and let them explore.

We brought Sami home at 8 1/2 weeks. Within a few weeks we started working on retrieving, but just as play/fun. We started inside using a hallway as the place to throw a toy. This worked because there was no place else for her to go but back to us.

dailtl is offline Junior Member

Baxter is almost 4 months and only fetches a few select toys. He has no interest in tennis balls yet. We have bougth small and big ones with no luck so far. I'm sure it will come with time though.

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

I am with Trickster here. At 5 weeks, I wouldn't expect much but probably lots of sleeping.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

If you brought puppies home at 5 weeks, you need to forget about the retrieving, pray they weren't vaccinated at that young an age, get them out NOW to visit as many healthy and safe dogs as possible and help them to recoup the lessons on dog communcation they should be getting from their mother for the next several weeks.
    VERY irresponsible for your 'breeder' to do this >
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

putertutor is offline Senior Member

Lexie had absolutely no interest in retrieving at 8 weeks when we brought her home. Even at 19 weeks she's just not that into it on land.

Now in the water that's a whole different story, but I think 5 week old pups are too young to go to the ocean/lake.

Why did you get the puppies so early? Are they rescues?
    <br /><br />http://www.lexiethelab.com<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />http://lexiethelab.com/shopping-resources

soonerbomb is offline Junior Member

no, they are not rescues. i know the guy who had them. my girlfriends parents have 2 small dogs that we take them to see a couple times a week who have all their shots and they've been playing really good together. they are doing really good in my opinion for the age. they've got a ball and a rope they play with really well, i've just tried to toss it a couple of feet away and they don't make movement for it which i figured was because they are so young, but they are really healthy i've had them to the vet and started on their shots. and as i've said, the vet said they were extremely healthy for how old they are and there is nothing wrong with them. they are just as playful together and with me and my girlfriend and boy are they starting to get honery. but they actually listen pretty damn well for their age

Trickster is offline Senior Member

as i've said, the vet said they were extremely healthy for how old they are and there is nothing wrong with them. they are just as playful together and with me and my girlfriend and boy are they starting to get honery. but they actually listen pretty damn well for their age
    It is not really a question of something being "wrong" with them physically...its the possibility they may suffer developmentally that's the issue because you got them at such a young age. Puppies learn so many vital social skills from both the mother and littermates in those last few weeks but what's done is done.

And yes, you should not be playing fetch at all with pups so young.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast