Jumping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jumping

maggieandfinn is offline Senior Member

DefaultJumping

Okay I need some help

Maggie is 9 months old. We have been to puppy class and even though we passed we still had issues with her jumping. When my husband comes home from work she is very excited and runs to the door and jumps on him. He ignores her, tells her off, pushes her down, done the knee to the chest....nothing works. She will jump and bark and jump and then once we get her in a sit and we reach down to pet her jumping begins again. I have held her leash, stepped on the leash, even tried holding her down and telling her no jump but as soon as she gets let go she starts up again. She does this with me too and since we don't have any family around and unfortunatley have not made alot of friends so we never have people over to practice on. We have had family come for a visit and it is a solid 5 minutes of jumping and barking. Oh yeah, we have also tried treats to get her to sit, stay with her feet on the floor but she doesn't care. Should we get some kind of no jump harness? I don't want her to jump like this but I don't know what else to try. I am concerned that when we start a family she will still be a jumping bean and knock down kids.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Jumping

This was a big problem for me when I rescued Nellie at 8-10 months. She weighed 88 pounds and was all muscle and I'm too old for this. I found that the best way to stop the jumping was to turn my back and ignore her until I had put my purse and bags down and gotten the mail. It took a while but she learned not to jump.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by nellies mom
    This was a big problem for me when I rescued Nellie at 8-10 months. She weighed 88 pounds and was all muscle and I'm too old for this. I found that the best way to stop the jumping was to turn my back and ignore her until I had put my purse and bags down and gotten the mail. It took a while but she learned not to jump.
    We have been doing this too but she just jumps at our backs over and over. Did Nellie jump at your back? Oh yeah, Mags is only 45 pounds and we don't think she will get that much bigger, I couldn't imagine delaing with her doing this at 88 pounds. She would knock me on the my butt

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

I have this problem with Bailey too; been through class & try to socialize as much as possible, but nothing seems to help.
    We could have just given her a bunch of exercise too & if someone new comes she just gets so excited!!
    We're just trying to be patient & hope that our ignoring her (for us) & using the leash (with others) will sink in.
    It's always nice to hear there are others having the same problems as you.
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

We are working on Ender's over-enthusiastic greetings as well. He sometimes jumps but usually just body slams them into petting him. Currently we are working on "sit... stay" when the doorbell rings (after he's barked to let us know someone is there of course).... I usually have to hold him by the collar but he IS getting better and has even started to "think before jumping"
    ~Lindsay

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

You're not holding her down long enough. And you should attach a command to the desired behavior. I'd recommend SETTLE, which seems to work about as good as any other (especially if she's learned to ignore OFF).

Hub comes home - Maggie goes nuts. Put her in a DOWN and step on the leash and tell her to SETTLE. Stay on the leash. Let you hub walk right by her, ignoring her antics 100%. Have him hang up his coat, check the mail, etc. all while she's in the down/Settle position. When she has been reasonably calm for a reasonable amount of time, release. BUT if she goes to jump again, issue the SETTLE command and get her down again and keep her there (step on leash). And again, HUB ignores her.

Stay with it. Praise the SETTLE. Once she can calmly come to him, let her do so and get some lovins. Over time, it should grab hold the behavior you expect.

Thanks for the advice Dan.....we will start this evening

baby_bosco is offline Senior Member

Bosco used to be really bad with his jumping. I would come home, and he would start jumping on me, I would say NO, I turned my back, put my knee up (which I don't really like doing)....NOTHING worked...lol It would hurt too...lol. This is what I did to help my situation, I tought him when it is okay to jump, so I would say Bosco come and then I would pat my upper chest and say UP. If he started jumping without my command I would put him down and say NO. He got a lot better...I come home now and he's still really excited, I have to remind him sometimes not to jump on me until I say it is okay. He's been doing really good now with not jumping. In the Labrador Retrievers for Dummies book, it says this :"Puppies and dogs jump up on you because they want to look into your face. Dogs can tell what mood you're are in and whether you're in the mood for fun by looking at your expressions. But the poor dogs are way down there on the floor! You can't blame them for jumping up to get a better look. After all, they can't ask you, "how are you feeling today? Are you going to play with me or would you rather I left you alone right now? - p.149, Labrador Retrievers for Dummies.

Good luck!
    <br />He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours,&quot;faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot; -Unknown

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Just my .02 worth .... but you said

He ignores her, tells her off, pushes her down, done the knee to the chest....nothing works.
    I believe that this is just reinforcing the behavior.* We taught Sami not to jump by completely 100% ignoring her until she had "four on the floor".* If you are doing anything else -- even though the consequences to jumping are negative -- the behavior can be reinforced.*

I watched this first hand w/ my friend's Golden.* She was and is by far, the worst jumper I've ever known.* Every time they come home, she jumps and they knee her, yell her name and then scream "off".* I honestly think the dog is just happy for the attention.* You'd think after 5 years they'd get the message that their methods aren't working. :

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    We taught Sami not to jump by completely 100% ignoring her until she had "four on the floor".*
    this is what we are doing with taylor, and it works great!
    it seems to have a calming effect for her as well.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast