At what Age (Question about Parvo and Park)

Thread: At what Age (Question about Parvo and Park)

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

DefaultAt what Age (Question about Parvo and Park)

So, Bali is 15 weeks now, and will be finishing up his puppy shots next week. I want to take him to the park (not a dog park, but a lot of dogs) where I run with Jaida and play, but I am worried about him picking up Parvo. At what age is it okay to start taking him to public places where exposure is a risk (even if it is minimal)? I have been socializing him in more private settings, but I really can't even take him on walks around where I live because of inherent risk. Suggestions? Thanks!
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: At what Age (Question about Parvo and Park)

Once he has completed all of his puppy shots (including rabies) he should be fine to go to the park.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Vaccinations stimulate a dog's immune system to protect itself.* That doesn't happen immediately, so my vet advised me to wait 2 weeks past the last shot before going to public places.

Here is an article about how vaccines work -- you'll notice it also gives the wait 2 week rule: http://www.my-dog.info/dog_diseases/...cines_work.asp

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

That would depend on your vaccination schedule...do you know what it is?
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

I just checked with my vet, and she still reccomends that I wait until after his appointment next week, just because there is still a small chance that Bali could contract Parvo. So, I suppose that answers my question. Thanks for the feedback. I understand how vaccines work (I am the vaccine clinic coordinator at my medical school), but am not an expert in canine immunology, so wasn't really sure what the inherent risk was. Thanks again for all of the information!
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali