Teaching a Young Dog a New "Trick"

Thread: Teaching a Young Dog a New "Trick"

DefaultTeaching a Young Dog a New "Trick"

Hello all, I need some advice on the following:

When we were housebreaking Cooper,we worked very hard with him to pee/poop on command and thankfully, our work paid off. At the time we were renting and did not have the option of putting in a special gravel area for him to use. We are now living in our own home and yesterday, had some landscaping done which included a gravelled area for Cooper to use. We figured it would be a piece of cake to get him to go there, as he is really big on lifting his leg & it doesn't seem to matter what type of surface he is on. Except for his backyard, apparently. We have tried EVERYTHING:

- sprayed some sort of stuff (which really stinks, by the way) that is supposed to encourage dogs to urinate where it is sprayed...nope, didn't do a damn thing.
    - threw the ball for him a few times, then withheld it while saying "pee-pee-pee" - this always does the trick if he isn't too keen on peeing at the first command. Once he does go, then we continue with the play session as a reward. Always works...except now.
    - let him sniff my closed hand (which was holding a piece of cheese), then told him the magic words. Nope, not even the promise of yummy extra old cheddar wouldn't do the trick.
    - captured a trickle of his urine in a paper towel and rubbed it in the area; we have a rock to the side of the gravelled area which we have been calling the "pee rock" & we rubbed it with the towel as well - nope. We even buried the towel just under the gravel - didn't work.

We've tried this on the leash, off the leash. We stood nearby, we tried giving him some space by sitting on the deck & ignored him - nothing. He just stands there....and you know he's gotta go. He hasn't had a good pee since 0600 this a.m. and it's now 2100 hrs! This gives a whole new meaning to stubborn.

There is an area across the road from us where we often take him to play. There are two big rocks at the entrance and he will always hike his leg on them. So it's not that he's unfamiliar with the mini-boulder in our pee area. My one thought was that perhaps he pees on those rocks at the play area because other dogs have peed on them. I have noticed when I walk him every a.m. that when we stop at the usual places for pee breaks, he doesn't always go after sniffing them. That suggests to me that it still smells of him, and there's no need to "freshen" the scent. Maybe the answer to our problem here is to have a neighbour's dog come in and leave his calling card, so to speak.

How do you train a 4 yr old dog (tomorrow he's 4 - Happy Birthday, my boy!) to pee & poop in a designated area when he has been trained to do his business on grass?

All suggestions & advice greatly appreciated!

Bev.
    <br /><br />&quot;Maintiens Le Droit&quot;

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Teaching a Young Dog a New "Trick"

Nothin'?! No one has a solution? - come on JL folks - don't fail me now! You've always come through in the past! ;D

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

I am sorry! I have no idea. I am just happy the Miles pees outside :
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

someone on another forum had a similar problem.. their dog was trained on pee pads, so they took a used pee pad, taped it down in the area that they wanted the dog to use. The dog used it, and they slowly cut it down in size and finally removed it. Presto, dog now uses the gravel no problem.

So maybe laying a piece of sod down over the gravel, and slowly cutting it down?

Oooo...I like that sod idea. We have a piece of sod left over from the landscaping so I think we will give that a try. (Although hubby says, "He's not peeing on a good piece of sod, we'll dig up one of the sh!tty ones from the side of the house." ;D Ah, he has such a way with words, doesn't he?!)

Thanks!

Bev.

P.S. How's Paul doing?

Fallriver is offline Senior Member

Absolutely have a neighbouring dog come in and pee there too...nothing like a good pi**ssing contest ;D
    Dana

To err is human:To forgive, canine."
    - Anonymous

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure that all dogs are equally trainable on that.* I think maybe a few are.

For one thing, unlike for us humans, peeing and pooping serves far more for dogs than just the process* of elimination.

Peeing for dogs is like e-mail for humans with computers -- I call it pee-mail.* It leaves a note that "Kilroy was here,"* "For a good time, see Lassie,"* etc.* It announces gender, age, health, and what they've been eating.* It's their way of communicating with the dog world, or responding to a previous post with one of their own.* Of course, for dogs, sometimes a pee is just a pee when you really have to go.* But if you can possibly wait, do it where it'll do the most good and have the most readers.

I think pooping is somewhat similar but also somewhat different.* When I had a Lab and a fenced backyard, I noticed that stools would get distributed all over the area.* So I think it can be partially a way of marking their territory but I wouldn't be surprised if it also had some communicative value to citizens of the dog world.

What you want is for your dog to pee and poop in a way that would be most convenient for you, isn't it, and not for what's most natural for your dog?

You could put up a fence around the area and put your dog in it until the deeds are done.* Certainly kennels do that and it works for them, the dogs adapt.* Yours would, too, but not as happily as being a freer range pee-er and pooper.

With my Puff, I follow the schedule her bladder and colon usually follow.* She goes out for a 2.5 mile walk (my distance -- hers is probably twice that or more) offleash in a nature preserve early every morning (6:30 AM).* She'll do 1 - 2 poops and probably leaves 10-15 pee-mail messages.

At 2 PM, she's ready to leave about 4 pee-mail messages in our front yard and those in our neighborhood.* Usually, after a few retrieves, she'll search several hundred feet for just the specific, right spot to leave her marker.* I pick up her stool in a plastic bag which -- for some reason -- she never seems offended by or hostile to me for doing despite her great effort to find exactly the precise spot in which to leave her offering.

Then at 10 PM, her 2 PM routine (minus the retrieves) is repeated.

At the 2 PM and 10 PM times, we use the mantra "Puff -- pee-pee" and "Puff -- potty" which seems to help alot* --* pee-mail can be sent almost instantly, poop packages take a bit longer.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Thanks all (Bob - love the "pee-mail" comment! Cooper is the same on his 3 x daily walks, on the portions where he gets to be off the leash)

Last night I wandered over to the area where we play with him, as there is usually a mound of poop over there than someone never picks up >. I picked up what I found and put in the area where we want Cooper to go. Obviously I did this when His Nibs couldn't see me. Hubby took him out awhile later and I watched from the kitchen window. Cooper wandered over and threw on the brakes when he saw/smelled the new deposit. It was like he was saying, "What the .....!!!" But it didn't do the trick. He still wouldn't go. :-\ I am going to see if one of the neighbours with a male dog will stop by & let their pooch "water" the new area. Will also try the suggestion of the piece of sod. One way or another, I will get him to go!!!

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Much appreciated.

Bev.