likes to chew
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: likes to chew

maverickspop is offline Junior Member

Defaultlikes to chew

i can't seem to get maverick to stop chewing up the living room when im not home. He's almost 7 months, only does it when im not home. i dont want to keep him in his crate i may have to if he dosent stop. any suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: likes to chew

Can you gate him in one room? Maybe a mudroom or the kitchen where he won't have much to destroy.

Also leave him some frozen kongs and such to keep him occupied for at least some time..?
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

mercedez is offline Senior Member

Puppy, Puppy, Puppy. Went through that with all of mine. They were never big chewers but instead of taking the chance and since I don't crate train, we would block off the kitchen with a gate and leave them in there with papers (to pee) toys, water and a comfy blanket! Good Luck.
    Laura<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

If you really don't want to crate him I would have to agree with the others about gating Maverick in a room where he can't get into trouble or hurt himself. Maybe you could exercise him before you leave to tire him out and the frozen kongs that Buckyball mentioned are great. I also hope to be at a point someday where I can leave Brigetta out of her crate while I'm away...I don't even want to think about what she would get into if I did that with her now . Maybe others will have some more ideas for you. Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

Nellie was crated until she was 2 years old then baby-gated in the kitchen for another 6 months. I had never crated a dog before (all labs) but after she ate both boxsprings on my kingsize bed, a down pillow off the sofa, and most of my verticle blinds it was crate time. Labs get bored and like to chew. To keep him safe I would crate him.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Keeping him in his crate won't hurt him and it will give you a piece of mind. He is obviously not ready to be crate free and loose in the house yet. If you continue having him loose he will continue to chew. Dogs chew for a number of reasons; teething, boredom, stress relief, etc. If you are really adamant about having him loose, keep him shut in a DOG PROOF (nothing he can chew) room, exercise him vigorously and leave him with something to chew. Following the 5 minute rule of thumb, a 7 month old needs least 35 minutes of exercise once but preferably twice a day. Make sure he gets this dose of exercise EVERY day and provide him with plenty to chew.

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

Great advice from Trickster. Labs chew. It's a physiological need, you can't train it out of them. Some grow out of it. I find that if the dog is kept busy, has plenty of things they are allowed to chew and supervised when loose in the house, chewing of your home is kept to minimum.

You will not be able to 'teach' Maverick not to chew your living room when you aren't home. If you aren't there to stop him and he feels like chewing your couch, chew it he will.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Great advice Trickster. We didn't start allowing Oona to be out of the crate when we were gone until she was about 15months old. I had nocticed that she was going into the crate even when I was home and she had the option of being out of it. We broke her of it gradually in stages over a 6 month period. Now the only time we use the crate is when she stays overnight at someones house.
    Olie

Kimba is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Keeping him in his crate won't hurt him and it will give you a piece of mind. He is obviously not ready to be crate free and loose in the house yet. If you continue having him loose he will continue to chew. Dogs chew for a number of reasons; teething, boredom, stress relief, etc. If you are really adamant about having him loose, keep him shut in a DOG PROOF (nothing he can chew) room, exercise him vigorously and leave him with something to chew. Following the 5 minute rule of thumb, a 7 month old needs least 35 minutes of exercise once but preferably twice a day. Make sure he gets this dose of exercise EVERY day and provide him with plenty to chew.
    I would have written the same thing. Great advice. The crate is your best friend!!! DOn't feel bad. Kimba is 14 months and is still crated when we are not home. He is sleeping like a log everytime we come home. I would rather that then a badly injured dog or dead dog bc he got into something he shouldn't have!

BudGirl8 Guest

Billie is almost 2 and I crate her when I'm not home. I have only had her 3 months and I tried the loose in the house thing for a bit but cannot tolerate coming home to mass chaos and destruction. We'll gradually work toward leaving her out, but until I can leave her alone for an hour or two without destruction, I sure won't leave her alone all day. The crate is a good thing...don't be afraid to use it. It keeps the dog safe, and your house in one piece. I echo everyone else here....LOTS of exercise, and patience. But don't be afraid of the crate if you don't have a doggy proof room you can block off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast