Kidney worry...

Thread: Kidney worry...

Rocksypup is offline Member

DefaultKidney worry...

Hi guys,

So Rocksy got spayed today, as I mentioned in another thread. We brought her home about four hours ago, and she has been flat out since! She was so groggy when we picked her up, certainly not the same dog we dropped off earlier in the day! They assure us she will be back to normal tomorrow though.

Anyway, we agreed for the vet to give her a comprehensive blood test as well as the operation. This apparently checks all her major organs, and looks for disease too.
    Turns out she has an unusually high level of something called 'creatinine', which usually indicates an underlying issue with kidneys. The vet suspects - or rather hopes - it may be something to do with the fact that she didn't drink any water for around 14 hours before the surgery. However, she has advised us to return in a month for a repeat blood test. She said if the creatinine is still high she "doesn't know what we will do from there".
    We're trying to stay rational, and tell ourselves that the test results were down to the pre-op water fast.
    But you can't help worrying, you know? :-[

Has anyone else heard of 'creatinine'? Or had any experience with doggy kidney problems?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Kidney worry...

I don't have any experience in this area...I just wanted to say that I know it's hard not to worry and I'll be keeping Rocksy in my thoughts. Hopefully your vet was right in thinking that the levels of creatinine were elevated to due her pre-op water restriction. Keep us posted.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

imported_nellies mom is offline Senior Member

The next test will probably be normal. 14 hours is an awfully long time to withhold water, even before surgery. She was probably dehydrated.
    <br />~~~~~~~~<br />Danie<br />Nellie, CGC<br />~~~~~~~~<br />The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -- Gandhi

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

creatinine is used by human bodybuilders as a supplement to instigate big muscles, increase endurance, etc. [readily available at GNC, etc]
    i beleive it is a naturally-occuring form of an amino acid, made by the liver.
    i beleive it is VERY possible that the dehydration was the cause of an abnormal value showing up. Please relax until the next test--whatever the cause, worry cannot change it!!

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

wow! That's a long time without any water...that could cause the elevated creatinine levels.

I didn't know they asked to withhold water as well. Thought it was just food.

Try not to worry too much (easier said than done i know...) Keep us updated
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

dailtl is offline Junior Member

Dehydration can cause creatinine to be elevated. Try to relax till levels are checked again.

Rocksypup is offline Member

Thanks for the reassuring words, guys. We were never really out of our minds or anything, but it was just the way the vet told us that if it was a kidney problem things could really get serious.
    Anyway, I'm almost convinced it was just the lack of water. They told us not to give her any after midnight the night before the op, and as she usually goes to bed about 10pm and the op wasn't until 9.30am, that meant around 12 hours without water. It does sound like a long time but we were just following instructions...

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

I am sure she'll be fine. We'll keep our fingers crossed.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE