crate & puppy divider

Thread: crate & puppy divider

Maddie is offline Senior Member

Defaultcrate & puppy divider

Dale is 5 months and is fully house trained (except for 1 accident the other day - he just doesnt like the rain, for some reason he gets confused when he's outside and wont go)... I still have the puppy divider on the crate, he's got about 2/3 room (he's only about 29-30 pounds - on the smallish side). Question is - do you leave the divider up until he's full grown or take it down now that he's house trained?

Also do you keep a towel or dog pillow of some sort in the crate? I have a towel in there, which he rests his little head on, but when he tries to move, he slides around ... kind of funny.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: crate & puppy divider

Once mine was housebroken, I took the divider out so he had the whole crate for room, since he was still crated at that time when we went to work (the extra room was good, since mine's on the bigger side and it gave him more room to stretch out in).

I had a blanket in his crate for him to lay on; we had it there from the start.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

If he hasn't soiled his crate in a long time or at all and seeing that he is decently housebroken I'd give him more room just so he can stretch out and stuff. You could gradually increase the space over a course of a week or so if you want instead of giving him the whole crate suddenly.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I divided Brigetta's crate until she was housebroken so she could stretch out. Gradually increasing the space is also a good idea. Brigetta used to have a blanket and a pillow in her crate...but she would either push them to the side or pee on them. I am considering trying out the blanket again since it has been awhile.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

I kept the divider in Bailey's crate until she was housebroken (she's about 35 lbs now) & she's never had an accident in there since we removed it.
    I also keep a towel in there for her to lay on, she doesn't seem to chew it at all & likes laying her head on it to sleep.

It's funny, Bailey had an accident the other night too because of rain. There are days she doesn't mind it & days she won't put up with it!!
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

Maddie is offline Senior Member

Isnt that funny, about the rain? Dale will just stand there. I give commands to go pee and poop and he just stands there like a big dope. The other night for some unknown reason (probably the rain throwing him off all day) - he woke up at 2:00 AM needing to go out (he's been sleeping thru the night for quite a while now so it was somewhat annoying). He pooped. Tried to get him to pee but he would have nothing of it. Brought him in, he whined a bit then went to sleep. Sure enough, he had peed on the towel. Does this qualify as labradork?