Getting spayed
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting spayed

Rocksypup is offline Member

DefaultGetting spayed

Rocksy goes in for her op tomorrow - and I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on what she will be like afterwards, and things we shouldn't do/should do?
    The vet has already told us not to let her run around for a week or so or else her stitches could rip...

By the way, it's interesting to note that dogs can be spayed from about seven weeks old, yet our vet told us to wait until she was at least six months old. I assume that's because there is a chance she would be on heat and they charge $50 more for the op in that case!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

wishingforjoy is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Getting spayed

Well I got Kenda spayed about a month ago and let me tell you I was so nervous. First leaving her at the Vet's overnight and the whole surgery, I was afraid she would have a bad expereince. An then to have to bring her home and keep her calm and away from her stitches for 2 weeks, with her being on her own for most of the day. Well the day of her surgery I dropped her off, had a little tear. I called later that day to see how things went, they said she was really sleepy but everything went very well. I picked her up the next day. I made a comfortable spot in the front seat for my poor baby to lay down, since she would probably be in pain. The Vet wen over all the details, meds she needed and what to do and not do over the next 2 weeks. They then went back to get her. I was excepting to see me babygirl calm and tired, boy did I get a HUGE suprise! They brought her out and she was skipping and running along, her typical self. I asked if she had surgery or if it was a big joke. As I walked out the Vet said keep her calm, as she is jumping up on me. HAHA! Well over the next week, I tried, stress tried to keep her calm. It was like she never had surgery. She never fussed over her stiches or calmed down at all, well the first day home she slept more than usual. Well in trying to keep her calm (no walks, outside for pee time on a leash, no jumping, running or rough play) she destroyed 2 stuffed animals, her Kong, and her bed. By the second week I gave up, she could play and go for walks.

I guess I was wrong! If the stitches are done right, if she runs alittle of jumps which we all know we can't keep them calm 24/7 they should be fine. Kenda would jump like crazy, and run, play with her puppy, run up and down the stairs and her stitches healed perfect. All I remember was her stitches looked horrible. Good Luck!

Sherry
    What mom?<br />

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta was just recently spayed. I was able to bring her home that night. The first night and pretty much the next day she slept. She would get up to eat and go out, but that was basically it. After that she was pretty much back to her old self. The vet had her on a 10 day rest, so I didn't play fetch with her or take her on her usual walks, but she was pretty active around the house (even though I attempted to keep her calm). I tried to keep her occupied with chew toys. She did have some issues going #2 at first- I think she when she would squat the sutures would bother her so she wouldn't go- she would just lay on the ground. I think it was after 1 day that she couldn't hold it any longer and went...she was fine after that. Brigetta did have a reaction to her stiches- she had a lump around the suture line, I took her to the vet and they said she would be ok and when she got them out, the lump was gone in a few days. Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Speaking for myself and the Vets I work for, believe me, we would MUCH rather do a spay on a dog NOT in heat. The "extra" charge is certainly not an enticement due to the added time and risk involved in the procedure.

The spay can be performed as you said at any time after 8 weeks. Most shelters will alter at 8 weeks to insure the pet is unable to reproduce BEFORE it leaves the shelter. If you dog has a inverted vulva you should wait until after the first heat to try to correct the problem. There has also been studies done that indicate that dogs MAY be inclined to urinary incontinence if spayed before sexual maturity. But I have had several dogs with urinary incontinence and they were not altered until they were mature adults. Vets generally will recommend what they are most comfortable with or with what they feel is in the pets and owners best interest.

There are also studies done that indicate that there is a greater risk of orthopedic injuries if the dog is altered before sexual maturity due to the growth plates staying open longer.

All in all, it depends on you, your dog, your Vet and what your breeder recommends. Many breeders will have in their contracts at what age the dog should be altered. Whatever you do, good luck.

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

What age do you guys recommed altering a male? I waited too long with my first dog and Ranger is now 3.5 months old?
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

The recommended ages I have seen range from 6 months to 18 months. I'd say get your pup fixed somewhere in that time span. I personally think it depends on the individual owner and dog onwhen to get them neutered. If you think you can do a good job of keeping your puppy away from situations where oops litter can happen then wait till he is a year or so. Also, if problems related to a puppy being unaltered arises that you are having a hard time managing then get him fixed. But I personally would wait till the puppy is at least 6 months old before I start thinking about getting him fixed.

There's lots of info out there about neutering age. Read up and make your choice accordingly Good luck!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

threelabs is offline Senior Member

Good responses. If you can manage it, don't spay/neuter until your dog is more mature - 12 to 18 months is good. However, if you can't watch your bitch in heat like or hawk or control your intact male then spay/neuter sooner.

Rocksypup is offline Member

Took Rocksy in this morning - she was as excitable as ever but obviously didn't have a clue what was about to happen! Picking her up later today, so fingers crossed it all goes well!
    Thanks for all the tips and advice by the way...

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Good luck...I'm sure she'll be just fine...let us know how she's doing.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

She will be fine Let us know how she is doing though
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast