Has Anyone Else Left Their Baby at Training?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Else Left Their Baby at Training?

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHas Anyone Else Left Their Baby at Training?

I'm starting to stress about this.... Buddy is going to the trainer on Saturday and will stay there for 2 weeks. I am worried he won't eat and of course he won't get all the love and attention we give him at home. I know I'm gonna cry when we leave him... he won't understand and after two weeks he'll probably think we're never coming back.... I guess I just want some reassurance or sympathy, anything to help get me through. Has anyone else done this, and how was your lab when you went back to get him/her? I know he won't be mistreated, it's just that he won't get the babying he's used to.....

Barb

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Has Anyone Else Left Their Baby at Training?

What kind of training is he going to get?
    ~Lindsay

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

I'm sure he'll be treated well, but I've got to question why you're doing this?

Is he going for special SAR training or hunt/field work??

Because if it's general obed and you can cancel and get your money back, I'd recommend pulling the plug. General obed is for you and Buddy to learn together. It's not only for Buddy to learn command, but to learn YOUR commands, YOUR preferences. And to respond you YOUR particular brand of praise/approval. Not someone else's.

Send-away camps for general obed training, IMHO, almost never work. They'll train the dog to respond to the trainer, not the owner. And they strive for a transferrance that the dog is usually not ready for developmentally. AND it misses out on one of the best 1:1 bonding experiences an owner can embark on.

Just my thoughts.....

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Rocksypup is offline Member

We didn't have the trainer experience (what training by the way?), but we had to leave Rocksy with her breeders for nearly a month while we both went away on work assignments. We were also worried that she wouldn't enjoy herself, or that she would forget about us.
    We kept phoning to check on her, and apparently she was having the time of her life (they live on a farm). When we went to pick her up, she went crazy to see us and wouldn't leave our side for about three days afterwards! She didn't forget a single command either, and even remembered where she had last left her tennis ball in the backyard!!!

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

It's basic puppy hunting. He'll get a lot of obedience training and introduction to birds, gunfire etc. He'll probably go back at a later date for more hunting training but I really don't want him staying for the 2-3 month hunting training at this young age! He's still a baby

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Hunt training is different and accomplished quite successfully in a sleep-away camp setting. Good luck!

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I'm not familiar with that type of training...but when Brigetta was boarded at her daycare she was fine when she came home...she just looked for a little more attention and stuck close to me...if that's possible! This will probably be harder on you than Buddy. He'll have a great time and be home before you know it! Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

You could easily find a hunt club in your area and train your own dog if you wanted. Personally, I'd never let someone else train my dog...you'll miss out in the bond.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Dani is offline Senior Member

I agree...I would never send my doggies away from training...that is one of the things I enjoy doing with Rider...learning and mastering things together.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Hmm, I would never send a dog away for training either. Training is all part of the fun.

I agree with the suggestion of finding a hunt club/training group. I help run gundog classes and we have plenty of people who have no experience of field training but want to get involved. Within weeks they are hooked & by the time they have finished classes (with a fully trained dog in tow!) the "newbie" handlers are actually knowledgeable enough to offer other people advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast