Play Time @ Puppy School!

Thread: Play Time @ Puppy School!

putertutor is offline Senior Member

DefaultPlay Time @ Puppy School!

Hi All,

We had Lexie at PetSmart Puppy Kindergarten, but I wasn't very confident in the training and I found out that one of the dogs had Giardia and wasn't properly vaccinated for Parvo and I decided to enroll her in Sirius Puppy School. Oh what a difference, I'm really impressed. The trainer is great and there are two golden retrievers, another labby, a little dog, and Belgium Shepard. It's really great to have other large breed dogs in the class; at PetSmart it was just Lexie and a 2 pound terrier for most of the class.

Lexie really loves the Belgium Shepard, Beau, and they play really well together during play breaks. The only problem is that when the teacher tells us to get our dogs and make them sit during play, etc. the Shepard's mom just kind of ignores and her dog continues to play. Her dog is really well behaved and she can break the play on voice command and her real goal of the course is to socialize Beau. I think that this is great, but Lexie is not good at breaking play and I find my self struggling to get her to do a sit command when instructed because Beau is jumping all over her. Lexie is doing great with her commands when there are limited distractions, but if there are other dogs around it's another story and this is what we really need to work on. Beau's mom is just kind of mesmerized by the puppy play and just watches in a trance.

I'm thinking about talking to Beau's mom about play time and what my goals are with Lexie and training and see if she will help me out by getting Beau to take a break when Lexie does. We talked last night and we're going to get together for a play date and they can play to their heart's content. I thought that a play date would be a good time to talk about this. Do you think that's ok? I'm hesitant because maybe I'm being too anal and I should just leave them to play as much as they want at this stage in her development; I'm just not sure.

Thanks!

Robin
    <br /><br />http://www.lexiethelab.com<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />http://lexiethelab.com/shopping-resources

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Play Time @ Puppy School!

hmm I am a total chicken when it comes to dealing with these kinds of situation. So, if I were in your situation I'd try to take Lexie to another part of the area away from Beau when trying to work on her commands. Sounds like she isn't quite ready for a big distraction like Beau :P In our puppy class that's what our trainer would do in situations like that. We'd break the play and then take the pups to a different area away from the pup that distracted our puppy the most and work with them near a puppy who isn't as distraction.

I hope this helps!

Glad you found a better training class!
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

putertutor is offline Senior Member

I did do that when we were doing our regular class commands; Lexie wouldn't have done anything all night if we had sat with her buddy Beau. We have off-leash play time, but then we're instructed to get the dog by the collar and then have the dog sit on command, this is where I'm having the issue. We're supposed to do this several times during the play time to work on recall, etc.

I appreciate the suggestions and I love Buck's new picture!
    <br /><br />http://www.lexiethelab.com<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />http://lexiethelab.com/shopping-resources

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Talk to Beau's mom. I'm sure if you do it in a kind gentle way she'll understand and be accomodating. "maybe we could try this..." "I really want Lexie to learn to do this with distractions but I think we need to start with Beau a bit further away and work up to him being right next to her" or "Beau is so good we really need to try to work our way up to his level, would you mind if we practiced some obedience work while they are close but not too close together?"

compliments allways work so I'd definitely would begin any conversation saying what you like about her dog and their training before talking about anything else.
    ~Lindsay

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Personally I would let it slide. If you decide to do long term training with this person in the class, then maybe something would be said down the road, but for now, I would find other distractions that can help with the issue at hand. I'm also a bit leery to confront people. I usually try to read the other trainers to see how serious they are before determining how well I can talk to them...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by putertutor
    I did do that when we were doing our regular class commands; Lexie wouldn't have done anything all night if we had sat with her buddy Beau.* * We have off-leash play time, but then we're instructed to get the dog by the collar and then have the dog sit on command, this is where I'm having the issue.* We're supposed to do this several times during the play time to work on recall, etc.

I appreciate the suggestions and I love Buck's new picture!

hmmmmm....in that case try what Ender's mom suggested :P You know the person so proceed accordingly...hopefully she isn't one of those easily offended crazy people!

Buck got annoyed with me trying to get his attention so I could take some photos of him
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3