WAIT... my new favorite command!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WAIT... my new favorite command!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWAIT... my new favorite command!

Ok... I'm LOVING the wait command right now. Ender is getting pretty good at it too so maybe that's why I like it so much.

For those of you wondering... I use WAIT and STAY for different things. Wait is "stay right there until I tell you it is "okay" to move" and Stay is "wait until I come back to you and release you."

This is working REALLY well for stairs. Our front door is high up above the street and has a full set of stairs to get to the sidewalk... if Ender goes down first he either pulls me (BAD and dangerous) OR ends up tripping himself from his momentum... so what I do is tell him to wait at the top while I go down most of the way... then I release him and he goes down.

Yesterday I did this wait command at intersections in our VERY NOT BUSY neighborhood... just to see if he could contain himself when there were distractions... he did GREAT... I'm trying to work on generalizing the wait command so he doesn't think it is just for doors or stairways.

~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sawyersammy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: WAIT... my new favorite command!

Good for you Lindsay! Sounds like you're doing a great job with him. Good job Ender!!
    <br /><br />brooke - owned by The Boy

ThatsMyGirl Guest

One other way I practice wait is, when we are walking and need to cross a street, I have Sami wait at a corner and then I step 1, 2 ... or however many steps into the street and then give the "okay". I want her to know that because I've started walking, it doesn't mean she can until she gets the "okay".

When you are ready to step it up a notch, try this ... put Ender on a long line and put him in a stay. Then walk to the end of the line and call him. When he is part way to you, say "WAIT" and reinforce him (treat, praise) etc, if he does. Then say "okay" and call him the rest of the way.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Good boy Ender! I've just started using "stay" when I'm getting Brigetta's food ready...but I think they way you use "wait" would be more appropriate for that situation. I'll have to try it.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirl
    One other way I practice wait is, when we are walking and need to cross a street, I have Sami wait at a corner and then I step 1, 2 ... or however many steps into the street and then give the "okay". I want her to know that because I've started walking, it doesn't mean she can until she gets the "okay".

When you are ready to step it up a notch, try this ... put Ender on a long line and put him in a stay. Then walk to the end of the line and call him. When he is part way to you, say "WAIT" and reinforce him (treat, praise) etc, if he does. Then say "okay" and call him the rest of the way.
    First part: Yeah that's what I meant when I said today we did it at intersections... but you described it perfectly... just cause I start walking doesn't mean you get to come with! LOL!!!

Second part: Wow... now THAT would be hard... but worth doing totally. How do you treat/praise him when he's waiting? Or do you treat him when he gets to you? or do you walk up to him?
    ~Lindsay

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

What a good baby!!! I've done the wait command ever since Ranger was 7 weeks old. He now will sit and wait for his food (I use a hand command too everytime I say it). I've not got him to wait while there is a treat on the floor in front of him. He's such a big sweetie and does it well!!!! It's a fabulous command. Stay is just not needed MOST of the time. I won't really train him on that until he has more self-control.
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom

Second part:* Wow... now THAT would be hard... but worth doing totally.* How do you treat/praise him when he's waiting?* Or do you treat him when he gets to you?* or do you walk up to him?
    I started out rewarding w/ treats. When I would say "wait" and she stopped, I would step forward and give her a treat and praise the heck out of her! Then I would take a couple of steps back and tell her "okay ... come".

Mooselady is offline Senior Member

We use wait also for feeding time. They both know that they have to sit and wait while I get the food, put in down, fill water bowl with fresh water and sometimes I even walk away before releasing them. They will look rather sad at me but they do wait until released to scarf down the food! We also use wait at doors - when we get to a doorway (at home, the vet, etc) I stop and tell them wait. I then open the door and go through, it isn't until I am through the door and release them that they follow and go through. My two may not come well, heel marginally well (at times) and pull on a lease but this command they seem to really get! Beats me why.
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.&quot;&nbsp; Roger Caras

ds77755 is offline Member

Great post Lindsay.

"Wait" was/is my wife's favorite command as well.* WAIT also helped Lola (the lab, not my wife) learn "stay" even quicker/better. We are currently doing advanced obedience classes and at 8 months Lola is better at "Stay" than the 1.5 year old pomeranian show dog (that the owner LOVES showing off how smart her dog is!!). Not that we judge Lola according to other dogs, we're just competitive by nature and think our Lab is just smarter and prettier than any other dog. ok, I'm done. sorry.

Dominic &amp; Ellie<br /><br />

Quote Originally Posted by ds77755
    Great post Lindsay.

"Wait" was/is my wife's favorite command as well. WAIT also helped Lola (the lab, not my wife) learn "stay" even quicker/better. We are currently doing advanced obedience classes and at 8 months Lola is better at "Stay" than the 1.5 year old pomeranian show dog (that the owner LOVES showing off how smart her dog is!!). Not that we judge Lola according to other dogs, we're just competitive by nature and think our Lab is just smarter and prettier than any other dog. ok, I'm done. sorry.
    I am the SAME way.
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast