sick pup

Thread: sick pup

kdalechek is offline Member

Defaultsick pup

I'm looking for some advice.

Our 5 1/2 month old Lucy is having her first episode of not feeling well. She started yesterday morning with horrible gas. Big dogs have big farts! Then last night she threw up in the living room. Now this morning when she went to the bathroom after breakfast she had diarrhea (sp?)

I haven't changed anything in her diet, but we did go out of town this weekend and grandma stayed here with her and I don't know how many snacks she gave her. Also, I have some rawhides that I occasionally give my Shi Tzu and Grandma may have been handing those out freely as well. Would something this weekend be effecting her now?

Should I feed her her regular dinner tonight, or hold off?

Thanks!!

Kristy
    Kristy<br />and Lucy<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: sick pup

I hope Lucy feels better! I'm sure others with more experience will be of better help. You may want to call your vet...I get concerned with too much rawhide and possible blockages. I'm sure the extra snacks and rawhide at Grandma's are taking a toll on poor Lucy's stomach. Good luck!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

My pup recently had something like this and I called the vet. He threw up in the morning and at noon after eating. His stomach hurt so bad, he actually whined. I called the vet and he said not to feed him for 24 hours and make sure there was plenty of water. By evening time he finally threw up what was sitting in his stomach - part of the stuffing in one of his toys. I TRY to get it before he eats it but you know how fast pups are.

I would take her off food, but allow plenty of water and see what happens for 24 hours. If nothing changes, then take her to the vet.
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks!

I feel so bad for her. I know she doesn't feel good.

I think I'll call the vet.

I prepackaged all her food for the weekend because I know Grandma is a big softy and would probably try to free feed her or at least give her more than she is suppose to get. I didn't think to tell her to limit the snacks and no rawhides. Hopefully this passes soon!

Kristy

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Definitely give the tummy a rest and let us know what the vet said.

If you had told me the same symptoms minus the rawhide and visit to grandmas, I would have said have your pup tested for Giardia (this is a special fecal test that my vet doesn't normally run so I have to specially ask for it).
    ~Lindsay

Lindsay is that some type of virus?

Kristy

It's a parasite...

some great links in this thread: https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...ic,6911.0.html
    ~Lindsay

Thanks Lindsay!

When I called the vet they first said bring her in. Then I explained about grandma being here this weekend and they said hold off and keep an eye on her. Well yesterday afternoon she threw up again so I went ahead and made an appointment for today. She still had diarrhea last night as well. I did withhold her dinner last night. She was wiped out! She wouldn't even get out of her crate to go to the bathroom before bedtime.

This morning she did not wake me up at her usual 5:00 am. (and she went to bed especially early). When I got up at 6:00 I expected to see a very sick pup. Instead she was sitting up in her crate with her tail wagging! She went out and went potty and was expecting breakfast. I did give about a quarter cup of food and so far she has tolerated it well. She has been rather perky this morning. If she continues to feel better (no diarrhea, vomit) I will probably cancel my appointment and just take in a stool sample for them test.

Thanks for the info!!

Kristy
    and Lucy

Awwww... hope it really is over and she's back to normal.

BTW... I doubt it's giardia... 'cause the grandmother and rawhides is really enough to cause all those symptoms.
    ~Lindsay

threelabs is offline Senior Member

Rawhide can do a number on a pups stomach as well as extra treats and table food. I would have said give her rice and a bit of boiled chicken for a small meal for a couple of days. Canned pumpkin (100% natural) also can help loose stool. If you have already started giving her kibble add some rice to it so it's a half and half mixture and see what happens.

Poor baby.