When to stop crating?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When to stop crating?

wishingforjoy is offline Junior Member

DefaultWhen to stop crating?

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering for all of you with older labs, when did you stop crating? We started leaving Kenda out of her crate on and off at night. First in oru bedroom with the door completely shut and now for the last couple of nights she has had the run of the house. She seems to be doing well. She sleeps in the kitchen but does wonder in and out of our room. I do know she is far from being given the run of the house during the day, considering she destroyed her bed yesterday in her crate. I am just curious when and how you knew they could be trusted on their own.

Thanks
    Sherry
    What mom?<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: When to stop crating?

I guess I should say that Kenda will be 7 months old on the 25th.
    What mom?<br />

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Everytime I see one of your pups pictures, I think what a cutie she is! I have the same question. Brigetta will be 6 months on August 1st...I think around 4 months I started letting Brigetta out of her crate at night. She would sleep on the bed or the floor, but the bedroom doors would be shut. Every once in awhile I would leave the doors open and she would stay in the bedroom until about 4 or 5 then she would wander out, sometimes she would just play with her toys and other times she would get into something so I went back to always closing the doors- I don't know if I'll ever completely trust her.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

My dogs all sleep in my room and they were all sleeping on their own bed between 10-12 weeks. Crating during the day depends on the individual dog and how much exercise they've gotten before I leave as well as how long I'll be gone. Piper is 16 months and will be in a crate for quite some time yet where Darwin had free range of wherever we are at 6 or 9 months. Different dogs, different needs
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

duckbnot is offline Senior Member

Rocky is 6 months and just loves his crate. Even if I were to give him free range, he would probably go in his crate to sleep. Unless there is a real good reason, I will probably always keep him in his crate at night, if for no other reason other than he sleeps so soundly with no disturbances.
    <br />Gotta Love a Lab!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yup...depends on the dog. You know when yours is ready. If you have any doubts, go with your gut instinct and hold crate free training off until you feel you can trust her.

As for mine, two were never crate trained, one was crate free by 12 months and the other by 18 months.

Goldentouch is offline Junior Member

I stopped using the crate when my dog was still just a puppy. Can't remember his exact age but he was still quite young.
    I started by giving him the run of 1 or 2 rooms then soon proceeded to give him the run of the whole house.
    Everyday he now gets the run of the house when i'm out, bar the bathroom... But thats because the cats aren't allowed in there, not the dog, so the door gets closed! (Don't ask why the cats aren't allowed in the bathroom, long story! lol)

Jill &amp; Leo xx<br />

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Belle, nearly 8 years old can not be trusted out of her crate for even 30 seconds if I am not in the house. Her pups, (now 1 1/2 years old) while in their ex-pens if I am not at home, probably could be trusted (and are periodically).
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

This is a good question.

Ranger was using a medium size crate (the wire kind) and he loved it (we borrowed it from a friend). I could say, KENNEL UP and he would go. Especially at night when he was tired (he sleeps in our bedroom).

But now, he is bigger and I brought out the BIG crate (the plastic kind used for airline trips). Well I've had this one forever and he hates it. HATES it. I have worked with him on treats and he will go in/out no problem. But at night I have to use a little more force (which I mean guiding him to it and not letting him escape).

It's such a bummer cause I don't want to spend another $100 bucks for a wire one- when I know soon (few months) I won't crate him at night at all - and this will be used sparingly.
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

Thanks everyone for sharing your personal stories and advice!

The funny thing is that we had Kenda's crate upstairs in the kitchen up until yesterday when we put it in the basement. Well, I guess she hated that idea, she destroyed her bed in the crate. Stuffing was everywhere! We want her to get use to being downstairs. We want to eventually block her in the bathroom (are basement is roughed in, dry wall is up but not completely done), then slowly increase it once we can trust her even more. Someday she will have the feedom to go upstairs, of course not in the bedrooms.

When Kenda's crate is upstairs she goes in there freely on her own to sleep. Since she is crated most days of the week while we are at work, I prefer to be able to let her roam at night. She has a routine 10pm bedtime, 6-7am wake up, so she wont be getting into something she shouldn't be.

Thanks again!
    Sherry
    What mom?<br />

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast