This pup doesn't seem to need sleep

Thread: This pup doesn't seem to need sleep

gizmocreations is offline Junior Member

DefaultThis pup doesn't seem to need sleep

I have an 8 month old yellow lab named Gizmo. He has never slept much, but now as he is entering his teenage years it seems he needs even less sleep. He goes to bed about 10:30 and then gets up at 5 to go out. Sometimes he goes back to bed at 5, sometimes he just wants to play. He gets a lot of exercise as we have 2 1/2 acres he can play in, plus we also have a 6 year old black lab and they enjoy wrestling together.

I read somewhere that pups should sleep 12-15 hours a day. It's pushing it if this guy even sleeps 8 or 9 hours. Is this normal? I don't put him in his kennel all that much as I am a web designer and work out of my home. He pretty much roams the house or is in a fence in the backyard. Should I be putting him in his kennel more and making him rest?

Thanks for any advice. With the older lab he did have his ornery pup stages, but he always slept a lot.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brianttu is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: This pup doesn't seem to need sleep

If he is tired, he will sleep...While your working on your PC, your pup maybe in the backyard getting 20-30 min naps...Allie didn't sleep 12-15 hours like people told me, she was always energetic, but now that she is 15 months, thats gone away, she hates when we wake her up in the mornings...Your dog is use to a large amount of exercise, and its energy/sleeping needs will be different than most people to crate their dogs in the day. Your dog is in great running shape, where mine is thin, but tires out after an hour of running...

One other thing, keep an eye on your dogs diet, I notice when we are dieting Allie, her energy level decreased a good bit...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

gizmocreations is offline Junior Member

What a great looking dog! Thanks for the information.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

He sounds pretty normal to me. He is growing out of the puppy stage where he needs to sleep most of the day. At 8 months these dogs have TONS of energy and they need lots of exercise to stay calm. Aim for at least one hour a day of STRUCTURED activity. He won't exercise himself regardless of how long he is left in your yard. You need to get out there with him. Run around, play fetch, take him for walks, invite some other dog owners over (you are lucky enough to own lots of land so take advantage of it!) for a play date, go for a swim. If you keep him active and stimulated he won't bug you for attention. Make sure you either walk or play with him before bed so he won't wake you up so early.