At what age for a prong collar? UPDATE!! GL Headcollar instead!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what age for a prong collar? UPDATE!! GL Headcollar instead!

flyingkitty is offline Senior Member

DefaultAt what age for a prong collar? UPDATE!! GL Headcollar instead!

I'm just wondering about this. Shadow usually walks fairly well for me but refuses to walk well for my husband. Sometimes he will lunge and try to "walk me" and I'm determined this will not continue. He's 3 months old now is he too young for a small/med dog prong collar? This will only be used while walking him to get him to learn not to continue in the behaviors he's starting to exhibit. Lunging, jumping and pulling while walking.
    Thoughts?
    ************************************************** ************************************************** ********
    Well, Shadow is pouting. Doing a pretty good job of being VERY Pouty.
    He'll get over it though. I got him a GL head collar. I'm glad I did even though he's still pouting about it.
    I watched the DVD that came with it and put it on him (right way) and he went for a test walk, then out again a few minutes again for a "big walk". I will admit that during the test walk I had two leashes on him. His 15 ft. training lead for retreving tied around my waist and the regular leash on the head collar. I didn't want him to bolt, or attempt to and have me lose control of him. He's annoyed but walking much better already, although he has an annoying tendancy to try to crowd me off the sidewalk. He keeps stepping on my broken toe too...wouldn't you know it's on the left foot!
    But "generally" he's doing better he keeps trying to paw it off his face if I don't keep him going but I feel a LOT better about this than I do yanking on his new leather collar on his neck like the trainer was showing us in Obedience on Saturday. I just don't like yanking on a pup's neck...feels wrong when they lose air, you know?

Sincerely, <br />FlyingKitty aka Shadow&#039;s mom<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: At what age for a prong collar?

I'm not a vet, but my feeling is that he is too young. Their necks are still developing and growing and you wouldn't want to damage anything. Plus, remember...he's just a baby. Like a 1 year old child. He's going to lung, jump and pull at times.

What I do is get all of his excitement out of the way, run with the dog a little bit at the beginning of the walk (a fast trot). He'll get the pent up excitement out of the way and may fall in line better. Also - I changed directions a lot to get him off track. I would start going one way and if he was pulling and tugging then I would switch and go back the other way. I'm sure I looked like an odd-ball and it is a pain - but I was training a pup for better walks in the future!
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

Goldentouch is offline Junior Member

Personally, i think 3 months old is far to young for a prong collar.
    He's just a baby. The main reason he is probably walking well for your and not your husband is probably (and correct me if i'm wrong) because you do most of his training with him?
    He sees you are a little more authoritative and therefore, when out on walks, will probably be doing most of what he is asked of by you. You ask him to walk nicely and he does.
    But when your husband walks him hes thinking "why on earth should i walk nicely for you"
    Try getting your husband more involved in the pups training. Do it together. Make it fun, use toys and treats and keep his interest.
    At 3 months old, i'd suggest bringing out some nice treats and using a happy chirpy voice to keep your pups focus on you.
    Jill &amp; Leo xx<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

This is probably correct. I do believe that while Shadow loves us all, the kids and my husband, he seems to be focused on me more. I do most of his training as my husband is at work during the day. As I'm a SAHM I'm home with kids (summer holidays) and dog both. So I do the majority of his training. He does mostly walk nicely with me and I don't encourage jumping or lunging. If he jumps at me I usually turn the opposite way and say "no". Firmly. He usually settles down. Don't get me wrong I wasn't rushing out to purchase a prong as I'm pretty sure that once we enrol him in obedience a lot of these "puppy things" will sort themselves out.
    We also hope to have him involved in agility as he aready does simple retreives and I think he'd get a blast out of running and jumping and things "on purpose" but in a controlled and safe way for him and for everyone else. I've never lost sight of the fact that he is a lab than could potentially reach 95 pounds full grown. This first year is not just for adjusting but also for teaching him manners and behaviors that I will and will not accept. Yes I know he's a baby...but he's a fast growing one!
    Sincerely, <br />FlyingKitty aka Shadow&#039;s mom<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Try a Easy walk harness first...3 months seems too young for me to start trying a prong collar...but I am no expert. Every time he pulls or lunges stop walking immediately. As soon as he puts slack on the leash praise him and start walking. Also, when he is walking along side you and properly...pop him a small treat and praise him LOTS. Practice walking on his leash indoors too where there's less distractions. Hold a treat in your left...if he walks on your left...and lure him along and praise him. Whatever you do be consistent! Don't switch up methods too often. Work with one thing for a few weeks before you try something new...

He's just a wee little puppy right now...the outside world is so new and facinating and exciting and he wants to check everything out. You can use this to teach him some good behaviour too. If you know he really really wants to go check something out ask him to SIT. Once he sits give him your cue..like OK GO VISIT and then properly walk him over. Soon he will just plop his butt down if he wants to check something out instead of lunging at it.

Another way to try and break the habit of pulling is...put him on his leash and then place his food dish maybe 10-15ft away. Everytime he tries to lunge towards the food stop. Whne he puts slack on the leash praise and begin walking. He will soon learn that lunging and pulling won't get him anything he has to walk properly to get his reward. In place of food you could also have someone just standing...someone he really wants to go meet...
    It all takes time and can get really frustrating but hang in there! He will catch on before you know it

Hope this help.

Here's a link for the harness...

http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=74
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Thanks for that information Buckyball. I'll look at Mondou the next time I'm there. (which might just be tomorrow!) If they don't have the harness I know they have the headcollar and I might just give that a go. I don't want to hurt my baby, just gently teach him to walk like a well-trained young pup. Already I must be doing something right as we have had many compliments on seeing him walk with us by the neighbours on our street. I guess they don't train their dogs but they enjoy seeing a young pup as well mannered as ours. Which btw, does give me some pride. Shadow is my first dog as an adult since I just couldn't have one before and I really, really want to do well by him.

Isn't it the best when people give compliments like that? I love it! haha

Oh just so you know the Gentle leader ( the head harness type thing) takes some time for the pup to get used to. He will paw at it at first and try to take it off. I was told to just put it on him and let him get used to it. Don't try to get him to go on a walk with it right away. Let him wear it and walk around and eat his meal with it on. So he thinks it's a good thing. Even after all that he still might not warm up to it. Buck never did. He'd stop pawing at it and then just sit and absolutely refuse to walk.
    I had to just end up training him with a regular old flat collar which took me a mighty long time. Well...it's all still a work in progress and he's 7 months old now. In his defense he is a very good walker but just not perfect yet.

Also had to add...make sure if you get a harness that it's the kind that attaches the leash at his chest and NOT his back. If it's the kind that attaches the leash to his back it really won't be all that effective at helping you correct him when he is pulling forward.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

We put a prong on Grace at 11 weeks for her puppy obedience.* The class was full of people in the breed...the trainer is a lab person, all the lab folk so So. Call go to her with their pups and dogs...the ONLY comment I got about the prong on Grace is why did I have the big heavy Medium one on her, I should buy the lighter Small one for her.* I was cheap, didn't want to buy a collar she wouldn't use by the end of the class.

I have had no luck with all the foo foo halti's, GL's, amazing "walk perfectly" harnesses.* The last time I had the GL on Grace she threw down in the middle of a busy street on a walk and tried to use the pavement to get the GL off.* She's a show dog, I would rather keep her fur on her face.*

She had no problems wearing the prong.* She wasn't corrected, although if she pulled, she self-corrected.

TimC. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: At what age for a prong collar? UPDATE!! GL Headcollar instead!

I'm helping a woman that has an 11 week old Black Field pup. We started using a prong a week ago and its like night and day. The puppy has stopped biting her and she is starting to respond to commands. Rather than a struggle walking is an enjoyment.
    Olie

DefaultRe: At what age for a prong collar? UPDATE!! GL Headcollar instead!

woohoo!! Glad to hear it's working out ;D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast