Potty frequency

Thread: Potty frequency

Rocksypup is offline Member

DefaultPotty frequency

Hi,

Just wondering roughly how many times a day a 6-month-old pup should be going potty.
    Rocksy can definitely hold it in longer these days, but sometimes she whines at the door only to run and grab her ball when we let her out! She'll then go potty about 10 minutes later but usually only after being told.
    We don't want to keep taking her out if she doesn't need to go, and want her to start strengthening her bladder. Anyone know how long, on average, she should be able to hold it in?

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Potty frequency

Hmmm, dogs are smart - she could be doing it just to get out to play! My pup has done that several times already - just so he could go see his four-legged brother who lives outside. Sneaky little guy.
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

Luv4Lexie is offline Member

Definately they need more potty breaks when they are playing harder. Someone better qualified could tell you how long is too long to hold it, but I think it depends on the pup, and their individual schedules and such.* At 6 months, Lexie was probably about one hour between potty-trips if she was just laying around the house chewing bones or something light.

But as far as Rocksy asking to go out and only really wanting to play, try crating her if she doesn't go potty right away.* Leave her for 10 minutes and then take her back out to potty.* If she goes, great, lots and lots of praise.* If she doesn't, repeat the crate time out.* She'll get it eventually--only ask if she needs to potty.*

We also use different words to help Lexie associate different reasons for going outside.* If I say "Gotta go out?"* she goes to the door and that means she needs to go potty.* If I say "Wanna play in the yard?"* she dances around and knows that means fetch sessions and butt-tucking in the yard.* After a few time outs in the earlier months, she never asked to go out wanting only to play again.

Good luck to you, hope this helped.
    My name is Lexie.&nbsp; <br />AKC, Field Line, 60 lbs, 24 in<br />DOB August 8, 2005<br />I love cuddlin with mommy, but now I have to share her with the baby....<br />(No longer an only child!&nbsp; My little sister was born June 9, 2008.)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

If you allow Rocksy to grab a ball on the way out to pee and play a bit she could well be asking to go out whether or not she "really" needs to. One of the "cardinal" rules is that there is no play until they pee! After that , have a party! All else being equal, I would expect Rocksy to be able to "hold it" for 6-8 hours with ease at 6 months of age. (longer over night).

I tried to house break 3-4 pups at once, so it seemed like I was taking one pup or the other out evey 20 minutes up until they were 6-8 months old. Now, at 1 1/2 years old, I can "trust" them *knocking on wood* to hold it for a long time. (I was keeping a pup or two for the puppy buyers, plus two of my own from the litter).
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Rocksypup is offline Member

Great - thanks a lot for the advice guys. Really helps.