Pups first trip to the dog park.....

Thread: Pups first trip to the dog park.....

raidernation is offline Senior Member

DefaultPups first trip to the dog park.....

He was so excited at first then other dogs came up sniffing the more that came to see him the more scared he became tucked his tail for the first time in his life and took off running away. He is just 5 months I thinik I will try it again but I don't want him to be afraid of the dog park.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Pups first trip to the dog park.....

Try to go at an off-peak time. Don't go mid afternoon, after work, or weekends. You are going to get alot of dogs there, probably many with no socialization skills.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Thankfully we don't have dog parks in my country and this is the exact reason I would NEVER go to one.

Several large dogs running up your pup is very intimidating in his eyes. He is just a baby and is not yet confident enough to deal with those situations. I would avoid dog parks and instead arrange a play date with one or two friendly dogs. Multiple dogs are going to overwhelm him at this stage. Play dates with pups of a similar age will really build his confidence and provide him will all the interaction he needs.

Dog parks are a bad idea full stop, especially for puppies.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

I think dog parks are a vital part of socialization, but perhaps here in Ottawa (Canada) we just lucky to have two good off-leash parks and responsible dog owners.* I didn't take Corby until four months old, and the first couple of times he was a bit overwhelmed like your pup, now he's overjoyed to go and loves it.* CYNLABS point is excellent - go when it is quieter.* Maybe I don't know what dog parks are like elsewhere... the one I go to is a former pit, so is probably 50+ acres, with trails throughout, and lots of poop drop-off bins.* One can walk alone or with others, or chat briefly in passing by while the dogs play.* What are other dog parks like?

brianttu is offline Senior Member

All dogs are scared of larger dogs approaching them at some point in their life. This will curb with time, but finding playmates the same size will help build confidence, and help them realize most dogs arent there to hurt em.... Socialization is an important process that needs to happen, if this is your only chance to see other dogs, keep going. Maybe consider a part that isnt as busy...
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

There are 3 dog parks in my area and 2 of them I wouldn't go to because the owners that go there think any behavior by their dogs is okay. There is one where the owners are very conscientous and there's a few that are there daily and don't hesitate to explain the ground rules to newbies, one being that if their dog is aggressive, their dog is not welcome. I love to take my dogs to that one. Use your judgement. If the dogs aren't nice, don't stay.
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE