My puppy only bites ME!

Thread: My puppy only bites ME!

LiLChRiZ54 is offline Member

DefaultMy puppy only bites ME!

???
    I got my black lab puppy at 6 1/2 weeks (now 8 1/2 wks) and despite all the negative comments about getting a dog that early, Toby is an excellent dog.* I've have a shiba inu, a germand Sheppard/lab, and a long haired terrier, and of all 3 Toby is the smartest and the most well behaved even at that young of age.* The only problem i have with him is that he bites only ME!* Whenever he is around other people he licks them to death and will only nibble VERY softly at their fingers.* Now when i come around to pet him (sometimes ) he will bite me and attack any part of my body! And it REALLY hurts.* I've tried "NO BITE!" "STOP" and yelping to convey to him that it hurts and it's bad behavior but it just makes him more excited.* I'm not sure if he is being mean, rebelling, or what...the thing that confuses me is that he listens to me extremely well (when i discipline him and otherwise) and will do what i say.* But when it comes to the biting its like he is deaf and doesn't hear my mean tone..........HELP! Does anyone have any tips?
    <br /><br />~~ChRiStiE &amp; ToBy~~<br /><br />A Lesson I Learned From My Dog - If it&#039;s not wet and sloppy, it&#039;s not a real kiss.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My puppy only bites ME!

http://www.canismajor.com/dog/bite2.html

Your pup needs to learn bite inhabition. He was taken from his litter too early and as a result missed out on many essential social skills (biting for one) that he would otherwise learn from his mother and littermates.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Labs are very mouthy. You have a young puppy and this is just a very natural canine behavior. There are many ways to handle the nippiness. The method that worked for us was YELPING really loudly when Sami would nip us. It would startle her. We would then say "no bite" and immediately turn our backs and walk away from her. Also, anytime that Sami would get too wound up and bitey we would just stop playing with her -- going so far as to turn our backs to her. If we were on the floor, we'd get up and walk off. She learned pretty quickly that we just wouldn't play with her when she was like that.

A couple of things -- make sure if you stand up to ignore her that you stand up completely straight. Dogs interpret leaning forward as a sign of play.

Whatever method you try, please understand that your puppy will probably continue to nip until around 5+ months of age, or when their adult teeth come in. However, that doesn't let you off the hook now -- you still need to be consistent or you will end up with a older dog that still nips.

Don't worry -- it WILL go away ... although when you're going thru it, it sure doesn't seem like it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

Just a word of comfort from someone who's been/going through the same thing.
    We got Bailey around 7 1/2 wks and had the same issue. She was always biting me & not my husband. I started saying "No Bite!" in a deeper voice & she seemed to listen a little better, but this did not stop it either.
    She is 4 months now & it is getting better week by week. Go luck with all the other great advice posted & hang in there!!
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Buck only nipped and gnawed at me too. Everyone else got slobbery kisses. He's 7 months old now and all the no bites and time outs helped out a lot along with his teething ending. He doesn't do the nippy puppy thing anymore.
    I don't know how true this is...but I was told they tend to mouth people they feel comfortable with. People they consider a member of their pack. It's all a fine line. You really have to make sure he knows you are alpha. Even now Buck likes to lay on his back and hold my hand in his mouth and nibble at it (not a big fan of it and trying to break the habit). He only does this to me and I am also the only one he really listens to and obeys.

Keep up with showing him what is appropriate to chew on and tell him when he is doing something wrong. Be very consistent about it. Consistency is the key to success.
    Believe me once those adult teeth come in things will change dramatically. But this does not mean you can let him get away with nipping and biting now. He needs to learn it's a very unacceptable behaviour.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

dailtl is offline Junior Member

I am having the same problem with Baxter. We got him at 7 weeks and started immediately disciplining. We have tried several things as well, "no bite" and give him a chew toy, walk away, aluminum can with money in it and shake it and "no bite" and he continues to think it is a game. I think he is getting better, I have less marks on my arms and legs. He seems to get really nipping only certain times and it is almost impossible to get him to stop. I have asked around and have heard labs have a tendency to bite until there baby teeth fall out around 5 months. Someone else mentioned spraying with water bottle and "no bite" everytime they bite. I'm a little hesitant to that b/c I don't want a bad association with water. Baxter is 3 months now so hopefully I'm halfway there, but it is annoying in the meantime.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

Oh some puppies get extra nippy and mouthy when they are tired. Buck was like that. I knew it was time for a nap when he got nuts with the nippiness.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

If your pup is already riled up, then the bite inhibition games (shouting "YIP!" or "OUCH!" or "OFF!") may not work--he may interpret them as playing and they may actually egg him on. High arousal is not conducive to learning. Practice when your pup is a bit tired from playing, say, in the evening. So: puppy is resting. You start to play with him a little bit, making sure to get your hands in and around his mouth. Let him mouth you, but if he bites, THEN you yelp and IMMEDIATELY withdraw attention for about 30 seconds. If your pup is calm, he'll be in a better state for learning.

I did this with Theo (after some false starts) and it worked really well.