Training on an electric fence. What age?

Thread: Training on an electric fence. What age?

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultTraining on an electric fence. What age?

I have a question. We live in the country and trained our hound dog on an electric fence. He is no longer on it, however, never - ever runs off.

Ranger is 3 months old and up until this time we have either brought him out on the leash or we take off the leash and stay right next to him while he is in our front/backyard grassy area. We are surrounded by farm land.

At what age should we start training him on the electric fence? Unfortunately having a regular secure fence is not an option and we plan on securing him elsewhere (in the house or outdoor kennel) if we have to be gone for long periods of time.

Any thoughts?
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Training on an electric fence. What age?

Right. I still have the flags...I'm just hoping I didn't screw up by letting him know more of the boundary and now trying to contain him a little more. On the 1.5 acre we have ... we don't have the entire place on the fence. I better get going on this then.

The problem will be the second dog NOT on the fence.....he will taunt him to go through. Darn.
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

Maddie is offline Senior Member

We have an invisible fence and were wondering the same thing. I thought it said when the puppy knows sit, stay and come, then you can start training. We havent started yet, but might start today. He's still too young to be out without a leash - he's only 19 weeks and we have an acre too. The entire yard is fenced front and back.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dana is offline Junior Member

We too live in the country and have invisible fence. We have 3 acres of land but do not have all of it fenced. Scout has been trained on it for about 3 or 4 months and he is now 9 months old. We have had much success with it until it died and he ran through it. I was walking through the house on the phone and he was standing at the back door looking in at me. I really believe he just wants to be with me at all times. Once the fence was fixed he went through it twice and was trained again. There are dogs all around inticing him to run through but he never has, he doesn't even get near the line where it beeps. I hope this has helped you decide what to do with your baby. Good Luck.