Puppy kindergarten disaster
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy kindergarten disaster

Newmommie06 is offline Senior Member

DefaultPuppy kindergarten disaster

Hello everyone!

My husband and I just took our 11 week old chocolate to his first puppy class. It was a disaster. There was a chow puppy there that was very dominant and would mount Bailey and bite his back hard enough to get tuffs of hair. The owners wouldn't do anything about it and the trainer did what she could. My worry is that this will be more harmful to Bailey's training then helpful. Bailey is so easy going and playful that I don't want him to get scared of other dogs. What advice do you have?

Thank you for your help. We are really stressed about this!!!
    Merry Christmas<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Puppy kindergarten disaster

My advice is that you speak to the trainer and let them know that you don't want the chow puppy to play with yours for those reasons....if the don't do anything about it, request a refund and find another class. Puppies play rough, but the trainer should step in before it gets to this point and show the chow's owners some attention breaking exercises. Good luck!
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with JacksAndLabs. The trainer should have stepped in before it went that far and the owners should have been shown techniques to prevent/stop that from happening. Tell the trainer exactly what your concers are:
    Quote Originally Posted by Newmommie06
    My worry is that this will be more harmful to Bailey's training then helpful. Bailey is so easy going and playful that I don't want him to get scared of other dogs.
    That chow needs to leave your sweet Bailey alone!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

curly is offline Senior Member

Go bite the owners ;D (just kidding). I agree that the trainer should act and correct the problem.

Newmommie06 is offline Senior Member

Yeah, I wish that I could have bit the owners. It's very frustrating when they just kind of let it happen. I'm not a dog trainer, so I don't know how to handle those situations specifically, but if Bailey was the one doing the chewing, I would have tried to stop him or restrain him somehow. Thanks for all your advice, I will talk to the trainer privately.

Merry Christmas<br />

dakotas_mom is offline Senior Member

I'd speak with the trainer and have him/her say something or speak to the owners... also, puppies will figure out their hiearchy/pack order, so as long as the pup isn't hurting yours or being overly agressive, it's ok if there is a more dominant pup in the class. When we went through pup calss we would cringe at how rough the pups played and how a couple seemed to get overtaken by the more dominant ones, but our trainer explained that in the wild they would distinguish their pack order and this was the same thing... now if a dog started to get agressive (big difference between dominant and agressive) the trainer would step in and grab that pup by the collar and use the command "easy" - she'd keep that pup away for a bit until it got it that SHE was more dominant then he and put him in his place in the pack order

Good luck! Puppy kindergarten is a great way to start socializing - we loved ours!

flyingkitty is offline Senior Member

Ok this now makes me a bit nervous to have my Shadow start Puppy Kindergarten classes. As Shadow has a specific goal in mind more than just the "run of the mill" family pet, I don't want him to have poor experiences with other dogs. I have controled his meetings with a couple adult dogs in our area, firmly. I also make certain to stand in front of Shadow so that he relaxes by my letting him know (non-verbally) that I will protect him.
    Sincerely, <br />FlyingKitty aka Shadow&#039;s mom<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

dakotas_mom is offline Senior Member

we had excellent experiences in our class once we realized we had to let go... our trainer stressed that trying to protect them does not allow them to fully socialize and figure out their pack order in the class- the main reason we wanted to do pup class to begin with was for the socialization.

We actually did an advanced pup class too we liked the first one so much - I would highly recommend- at least the ones we took - I'm sure they are all a little different though.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by flyingkitty
    Ok this now makes me a bit nervous to have my Shadow start Puppy Kindergarten classes. As Shadow has a specific goal in mind more than just the "run of the mill" family pet, I don't want him to have poor experiences with other dogs. I have controled his meetings with a couple adult dogs in our area, firmly. I also make certain to stand in front of Shadow so that he relaxes by my letting him know (non-verbally) that I will protect him.
    Please be careful not to create a fearful dog. It is hard, but we all have to let our dogs learn how to handle other dogs by themselves. Not sure what you mean by "run of the mill" family pet... everyone who takes the trouble to attend puppy or obedience classes thinks their dog is very important, whether or not they're going on to greater things.

In puppy class, my Corby wanted to mount two of the littler females during playtime (the only time he's tried to mount another dog) - a visla and a boxer. It was actually quite funny, because he could never catch them, they were like quicksilver, and he was in slow-motion! He has since met probably 100+ dogs loose at our local pit (not all at once!) and has learned respect and how to play with others. Only one other dog (surprisingly, a lab) was overly agressive in my view, holding him down by the neck in water, so I simply moved on away from that dog -- Corby didn't have the weight or experience to handle her.

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

The experience with the chow pup is rare, and by no means should anyone be afraid to take their dog to a puppy kindergarten class.

The issue here is the lack of authority the trainer is showing. While puppy socialization is a must, it should also be taught that pups do not put their paws up on each other and act aggressive. I don't care about dominance, blah blah blah, this is a puppy class and the PEOPLE are in charge. The trainer should have been ON the chow's owners the SECOND it happened. The chow's owners shouldn't have been such dolts to just sit there and watch it. You are kind of in a bind because it's hard to reprimand someone else's dog and SAVE yours, even though sometimes it's best to let the dogs sort out their own stuff.

I would talk to the trainer and tell them if that kind of behavior happens again and they just sit there like they have no clue on how to handle dogs, you will be demanding a refund. I would also not go near that chow pup and if the owners approach, I would tell them you are sorry, and don't mean to offend but they are not in control of their dog and would prefer not to allow your pup to socialize with a bad mannered pup.

Just thinking about those people make me mad because they are the reason there are so many misbehaving dogs out there...the owners think that just attending a class is enough. But far be it for them to be responsbile owners and teach their dogs manners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast