Tick and Flea treatmen
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tick and Flea treatmen

Newmommie06 is offline Senior Member

DefaultTick and Flea treatmen

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if someone out there could help me. We just got our puppy a month ago at 7 weeks. He is now 11 weeks. We are going to using him as a hunting dog in the fall, and I was wondering if we should have him on flea and tick medication? We started heartworm at the beginning of July. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!!

Bailey's mommie
    Merry Christmas<br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

shamrox is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Tick and Flea treatmen

Yes you need flea and tick treatment....from what I know K9 advantage repels fleas and also kills them and frontline just repels them. I once called the bayer (K9 advantage) and they told me that if you have a dog that is in the woods alot then the treatment needs to be more often then once a month, but I have a house dog and she goes out to play so all I have to do is put it on her once a month and she is good.

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

We started Bailey on Frontline Plus, but like 'shamrox' stated & from what I read, Frontline only does part of the job. We now have her on K9 Avantix, which repels & kills fleas, ticks, & mosquitos (spelling??). We are outside a lot with Bailey, so I thought the added mosquito part was a real bonus!!
    It's a thing I've been investigating a lot lately. I've visited both products websites & did some reading.
    Good luck.
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sparemom is offline Senior Member

We live in a heavily wooded area and I've been using Frontline for Zora since she was 8weekswith great results. The only problem with K9 Adantix is that it is not waterproof, so if he plans on being in the water, it's not good. Maybe you could use the Frontline, and then when you take him out, spray him with something for added protection.
    <br />ZORA

alliekate is offline Senior Member

We use Frontline Plus and have never had any problems...ours don't go into the woods that often.

Do you all recommend Frontline Advance? Is there such a product? I think that's what it's called. We need something water repellant definlitely. He is a lab that loves water. His name is Bailey as well He will only be out during hunting season and we don't train in wooded areas other then that he's at home in the house or his doggie condo That's what we call it..it's a 4 foot by 3 foot insulated dog house with a shingled roof. So he's not the most rough and tumble dog, but I woulld still hate for him to get either ticks or fleas.

Thanks for your suggestions!!

Jessica
    Merry Christmas<br />

By the way Petals is the cutiet darn puppy ever. I was reading your other forum and Petals was 45 pounds at 15 weeks.....WOW...

Jessica
    Merry Christmas<br />

shamrox is offline Senior Member

Yeah I will have to post the most recent pictures of her now. By the way K9 Advantix is just like Frontline....they are not waterproof they are water resistent (sp?). I was told that if your dog goes swimming a lot (more then 3 times a week) then the application will have to be applied more then once a month

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

When I read on this thread that Frontline Plus does not kill the fleas I had to double check it out to make sure I was not imagining things.* I used it when I saw what I thought was a* flea on my pup and the following day I did find two lying dead on the bottom of his crate. I have been using it since regularly and he has not had a single flea. So it does repel and does indeed kill fleas incase of an infestation like it claims on the box. It says that it kills ticks within 24-48 hours after attaching. This claim worked as well with my pup. Found a dead tick in his crate (since then I have been doing really thorough checks on him after walks for ticks) You can also bathe or take your dog swimming 24 hours after application of this product and be fine.
    So...in my experience with Frontline Plus it does kill and repel fleas and kills ticks as well. It does not repel mosquitoes so if you want something that does that Frontline Plus is ineffective in that area. I can't speak for other products out there since I have not used them yet. But Frontline Plus did/does work for me

Hope you find something that works well for you

Oh here is what Frontline claims. I don't know how true it is since my labby doesn't go swimming that often and needs a bath maybe once every.. well he's only needed two baths since he was born 6.5 months ago...once because he rolled in mud and another time he rolled in something smelly...

How FRONTLINE® Brand Products Work - From the very first application, FRONTLINE kills up to 100% of existing fleas in less than 24 hours and continues to provide fast-acting, long-lasting flea and tick control.

Fipronil, the active ingredient in all FRONTLINE Brand Products, is stored under your pet's skin, in the oil glands, so FRONTLINE continuously reapplies to the skin and hair through the hair follicles making it waterproof.

FRONTLINE will remain waterproof and won’t rinse off – even through your cat’s self-grooming or your dog’s monthly bath or swim. In fact, FRONTLINE doesn't stop working for an entire month, giving your pet non-stop flea and tick control.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sparemom
    The only problem with K9 Adantix is that it is not waterproof, so if he plans on being in the water, it's not good.
    That's what I thought originally too & after talking to a friend that is a vet tech, but after visiting K9 Adantix's website, they claim to be water-proof or repellant & still claim to be 95%+ (a few different ranges for each of flea, tick, & mosquito) effective after swimming & bathing.
    I wanted to talk to my vet again to verify this, but thought I'd add that in as well.
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast