Recall teaching

Thread: Recall teaching

Mooselady is offline Senior Member

DefaultRecall teaching

I need some help with "teaching" recall to my two labs. My younger one (10 months), Skye, hasn't been thru a formal obedience class but I worked with her daily. Tugg (14 months) went thru a formal class. Right now a regular class is out - I have a fracture in my foot from a fall in April and will have surgery this week to repair it. Tugg is very stubborn and his recall has gone from fair to poor rapidly. Skye's is fair. I've been working with them one on one using a long line. If they don't come when called I go them and bring them to the place I was at - all the time telling them come. This was how I was trained in a previous class. It isn't sinking in with these two. I suspect that I am too impatient - how long does this take to learn? Suggestions would be appreciated.
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.&quot;&nbsp; Roger Caras

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Recall teaching

how long does this take to learn?
    Depends on the dog AND your method of training.

My first suggestion would be look up training the recall on this forum. Almost everyone has had recall issues at some point and there are many different ways of teaching it. It is trial and error. What works for one dog may not necessarily work for another. Experiment, find a method that you think will work for you and stick to it. Consistency and patience is key to recall training; without those you are fighting a losing battle.

My personal method of recall training goes somewhat like this;

Recall in the house; no distractions.
    Recall in the house; with distractions.
    Recall in the yard; no distractions.
    Recall in the yard; with distractions.
    Recall in fenced in area of a public place (tennis court, playground); no distractions.
    Recall in fenced in area of public place; with distractions.
    Recall on long line in public place; no distractions.
    Recall on long line in public place; with distractions.

and finally...

Recall OFF leash in public place; no distractions.
    Recall OFF leash in public place; with distractions.

Depending on how much time you devote to this you can have a pretty solid recall on a dog within weeks. Remember that as well as patience and consistency, PRAISE is also a key element. Praise should also be timed with the reward and recall training should always be positive. If you are negative and punish a dog for not coming back, that dog won't want to be around you. If you are fun and upbeat your dog will look to you for entertainment and stick by your side.

Good luck!!

Mooselady is offline Senior Member

Trickster - thanks for the specifics. I like your plan. I suspect that my patience is a big issue. As usual, I am the one who needs the training....
    <br /><br /><br />&quot;Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our life whole.&quot;&nbsp; Roger Caras

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

See the OUR BEST ADVICE thread stickied up top! ;D