We need some suggestion's on jumping up!

Thread: We need some suggestion's on jumping up!

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

DefaultWe need some suggestion's on jumping up!

Sammi is doing really well with training and trick's seem's to catch on really quickly. Know's sit, stay, down, heel, is doing well on the leash, comes almost 100% of the time, unless the squriells have her attention . Our biggest problem is when we are out walking and we meet up with human or dog, she want's to play, so she start's jumping up on them. At the same time she seem's to forget all rules or training, we can't get her to sit, stay, down or anything because she is so focused on them and Playing. She is almost 6 month's old, and getting bigger by the day so i really want to get a handle on this. The jumping is only a problem as explaned above, she know's not to jump on us or when people come to our home. So any help would be highly apprecated. Sammi's mom

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: We need some suggestion's on jumping up!

That's a tough one. My Dali was a jumper at that age, he finally outgrew it. I used to anticipate the meeting and would walk him in circles to get the energy out. I also trained my family to raise their knee to make it uncomfortable for him. He tripped my Mom one time and nearly broke her ankle.

You just have to keep at it, by pulling down on the leash to correct him. You could also shorten the leash up, to try to keep him near your side. And then you need to distract him. If he is on your left, take your right foot and reach around and tap his butt with your foot. It's just to get his attention.

Good luck - I'm sure I will be in the same place in about two months.
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Use a leash and when Sammi gets jumpy as a stranger approaches, tell her to DOWN, and if she goes to break - STEP ON THE LEASH, with your foot right behind the snap.

She may thrash and fight, but sooner or later, she'll figure out that she's much more comfortable if she just lies there, still. You can then praise and have the strangers approach and pet. You can eventually skip the step-on-the-leash part, once the training takes hold, but if you do and she goes again to jump, the visitors must stop immediately.

The point to enforce is that pettins and lovins occur when she's four-on-the-floor ONLY!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Great suggestion's, you have no idea how much we appreciate them. I will start first thing in the morning with the walk in the park, Thank's again

Bailey24 is offline Senior Member

We're having this same issue with Bailey (3 months) right now too & like you want to get a handle on it early so it doesn't become a bigger problem later.
    Good suggestions from all; I'll be trying them too!
    <br /><br />~ Angie &amp; Bailey ~<br />My Dogster Page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/509673