Fence?

Thread: Fence?

Sparemom is offline Senior Member

DefaultFence?

We are getting ready to put up a fence. We (I) have been potty training Zora, so have been walking her on a leash. A friend of mine said labs tend to really be big on digging so be careful what type of fence you put up. Any suggestions, comments?

[attachment deleted by admin]
    <br />ZORA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Fence?

Labs won't dig if they are well exercised, and not left outside unattended. If you plan on leaving the dog out in the back yard for long periods of time while you are away, expect holes. If not, I wouldn't worry about what type of fence. My neighbor has a chain link fence, and I have an 8 foot privacy fence...both work just fine.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

curly is offline Senior Member

We had a 4' fence and 6' vinyl privacy fence installed just after we got Zakk so he could have room to play. He is supervised right now while he is out but has done very well not digging. He does have one spot where is allowed to dig (under a set of steps going into my workshop that is away from the new fence). He seems to be happy digging in this one spot so we are going to let him have this spot.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

Henry's had yards with both 6' vinyl privacy fence and 6' wooden privacy fence. He has never shown any inclination for digging. That said, he gets tons of exercise every day (daycare, walks, ball playing) and he is never left alone in the backyard.

Most labs will dig if bored, so as long as Zora's not, you'll be fine!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Sparemom is offline Senior Member

Zora would never be left inside the fenced yard if we are not at home. I wanted to have an area she could go in if she wants to be outside for a little bit and I have things to do, in the house. I am at home during the day so when I'm out side she's with me, but this is an investment for the future and I just wanted to make sure I put up the right one; height, type, etc.
    <br />ZORA

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

We have an invisible fence and it works well with Buck. But he is never left outside alone for longer than 10 mins. I don't think it matters what kind of fence you put up (as the others have said) as long as your pup is well exercised and supervised he won't be digging his way to China ;D So go with what your budget allows and what you like.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

deneen is offline Senior Member

Labs won't dig if they are well exercised, and not left outside unattended. If you plan on leaving the dog out in the back yard for long periods of time while you are away, expect holes. If not, I wouldn't worry about what type of fence. My neighbor has a chain link fence, and I have an 8 foot privacy fence...both work just fine.
    I agree I wouldn't worry about it as long and she's supervised/excercised sufficiently. My 6 ft is doing a good job.

dana is offline Junior Member

We also have the inground Pet Safe fence. Scout has done really well with it. He is only outside when we are home and sometimes by himself. The only time he digs is if he is burrying his bone or if he is going under the building to get some shade. We are very happy with the fence.