Where are we going wrong (kennel "accidents")?

Thread: Where are we going wrong (kennel "accidents")?

curly is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhere are we going wrong (kennel "accidents")?

Zakk was doing so well with kennel but lately has started to have more "accidents" while in kennel during the early morning hours . Zakk is now 14 weeks old.
    - We are still taking him out to potty at around 3AM and he will go and he has not had an accident before this time.
    - We both get up at 6AM and have woke up the last few mornings to a smelly mess (either pee / poop or both) which occurred during those 3 hours.
    - In fact, this morning we got up at 7:45AM and he had an accident after going out at 6AM "taking care of business".
    - We have not changed his eating routine any, he gets fed at 6AM and 5PM.
    - There is nothing abnormal about his stools (same consistency, etc).

Can we attribute this to him growing and his body functions simply changing? He has never given us much warning but will whimper and whine after he has had the accident. Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Where are we going wrong (kennel "accidents")?

assuming he doesn't have an infection,* are you absolutely sure he is actually COMPLETELY ''doing his business'' when he gets taken out at 3am?
    because many dogs at this age get sooo excited/distracted by all the 'new' sights, smells, sounds [example:everything smells different at night vs. the day, even to us with our pathetic noses!] that sometimes they 'go' just enough to take the edge off, so they can continue their exciting explorations.*
    then, several hours late, trouble!*
    give him a few more minutes after you think he's all set.*
    also, start now to reward 'performance' and give it a name!

I'm pretty sure he is dong everything he needs to... we both keep up with the time of peeing and amount of pooing. We went back to using the leash at night so we can control any "playing" at this time. We'll see if this helps! Thanks for the response.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Maddie is offline Senior Member

All I can say is be patient. This too shall pass. Dale is now 18 weeks - we got him at 14.5 weeks - and what a difference a few weeks makes.

Maybe you can try when he whines/whimpers after making the mess - take him outside and say "lets go outside" while he's whining - so he can associate his action with going out? Its a tough age, they still dont have much control, but in just a couple weeks, he'll probably get it. He'll learn, they all do (just like potty training a kid). I would keep him on a leash to potty until he really gets it, do the duty first, no playing until he's done.

Is his crate too big? Do you have a puppy divider? Maybe get up a little earlier? I know when I was taking dale out at 3 am, he was getting up again a couple hours later - maybe the 3 hours is too much for him.

Are you giving water after the 5:00 dinner? You might want to stop all water after he eats. Is he pooping alot? Perhaps the food has too many fillers?

Its a very frustrating age, but he'll get it! Hang in there.

It's so funny, every time we get "frustrated" he comes back and does soooo much better. He actually slept through the night last night. We were noticing that at his 3am potty that he wasn't doing much.... almost like he was doing it to get back in. We decided to try all night... he was ready to hit the yard this morning so maybe he is gaining some control over his body .

We stop water at around 7PM, maybe just a bit if he plays alot before kennel (but very little). The leash does help, he seems to know it is business only when it's on.

We're hanging in there.... he is our "child" after all ;D.

Maddie is offline Senior Member

and a cute one at that!!

shamrox is offline Senior Member

My Baby is about 16 weeks and she goes all night with no problems. We usually put her in her crate around 11:00pm or so and she is up around 7:00am ready to go. We have a crate in our bedroom and that is where she sleeps at night so if she really has to go earlier she will whine. Every once and a while she will whine around 5:00am and I get up and let her out to pee then she will put herself back in the crate and then be up again at 7:00am ready to finish her business.