Big problem....not sure what to do!?!?!?!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big problem....not sure what to do!?!?!?!

Chance is offline Member

DefaultBig problem....not sure what to do!?!?!?!

Alright here we go......chance got a hold of the tooth paste from the bathroom and when I went to go get it, he got done on the ground and gave me a growl, then I went to grab it and got a bigger growl and he ran under the bed. At this point i was getting pretty mad b/c he was getting kinda of aggressive. I went under the bed to get him and he really started to growl to the point that I backed off and I have never thought I would have to do that with him. Then I went to grab the tooth paste and he put his mouth around my hand, didn't bit but enough to piss me off. Finlay I just grabbed him from under the bed as he was counted to growl and mouth my hand. Then I put him in his create.

This aggression really is something I will not let happen...........I just don't know what to do now..........this growling and running away thing is not cool and then when you catch him he crawls more!!!! Any ideas what I might be doing or what I should do to solve this problem. Any help would be great.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mia&Buddy is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Big problem....not sure what to do!?!?!?!

So how old is Chance? FYI, Buddy (age 2!) still does this occasionally, and *only* with what we call "found treasures". If he finds any kind of special food (the last treasure was the chicken carcass that he got out of the trash.* : ) he protects it a little too fiercely for my taste. I have tried being assertive with him, but what actually works better for us is to ask him to "give it to me" in a very nice voice. He wants to please us so much that he can't help but relinquish his treasure. Nance (Paddysmom) was the person who suggested it, and I have to say that it has worked so much better than the other way. Also, we have worked very hard on prevention - it's just easier on all of us if there aren't any treasures to find in our house.

If Chance is still a puppy, I would suggest a basic obedience class to reinforce your status as leader, and I really liked a class that utilized clicker training. It's fun for both of you.

kassabella is offline Senior Member

I agree with Mia Buddy.

Ernie used to do this. I ask him nicely to drop, and have a treat in my hand or go to the pantry where his food is kept and pretend to get a treat for him.
    I am not sure if this is the right way to handle this type of situation, but I have found he doesn't run away with it and as there is no confrontational scene he seems happy to let me have his "stolen treasure".

I read many dogs are bone aggressive and this is perfectly normal, so I guess treasure could come under bones. I practise taking a bone off Ernie and giving him something else. He never growls and hands over his bone. I do this in case he does get something that will harm him.

Kassa 25/11/01 - 09/02/05 O.S Jaw cancer forever in my heart.
    Ernie 25/11/01 adopted May 05
    Sam 11? adopted Nov 06 - 18/12/07 Lyphoma
    Tessa. Rescued June 2011.
    Bone Cancer Dogs org.http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/
    http://kassabella.tripod.com/kassabella/
    http://collarsbychris.weebly.com/

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

Here's my two cents (sorry in advance if it sounds really opininated)

Your dog should never, ever growl at you. Never. You are the pack leader, he is number two. In the wild, the pack leader could come up to a carcass found and the rest of the pack would give it up easily. They would never growl. So it is never okay and never accepted. There are no exceptions.

With that said, now you have to examine carefully and objectively Chance's entire life with you. Does he get on the couch next to you? Does he sleep on your bed? Is he fed first? Does he run through the door before you do? Is he given affection before discipline?

I'm sure he is a great dog. However, in order to fix this one problem (which could end up being bad) you have to look at the big picture and establish that you are number one. Always. Once you get that taken care of, then you should also practice with taking things away, etc.

Dominance is not ugly. It is simply assertive and the dog will respect it and he yearns for it. Chance believes he is number one and while he most likely is a great dog in every other aspect, he feels that he can tell you to back off when he wants and even put his mouth on you. What could be next? That's what I'd be asking myself. Try watching this guy or getting his book. He has a show on National Geographic. http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/

Sorry for the length and good luck.
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

Chance is offline Member

Don't feel sorry at all!!! I feel the exact way you do and in fact i just downloaded Cesar millan's book off of iTune's last night after Chance did this. How do you become number 1??? I know he is only a puppy (5 1/2 months) but, i need to get him under control before he gets to big.

Vanis is offline Senior Member

I completely agree with Rangersmom here.

Chance is a little young at 5.5 months to be so aggressive. I wonder if he had to fight for his food a lot when he was still with his litter mates. Irregardless, now is definitely the time to nip it in the bud and show him who is Alpha.

Reading Cesar's book will give you a lot of good information on how to be Alpha wolf and keep it that way. Good luck!

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

We had this just for a wee bit, and corrected it. I don't know if this will help you, but here it is:

When Tucker was just maybe 12 weeks (very small), we gave him a special treat a few times (don't even remember now what it was). He ran with it, under a small coffee table, as though he were hiding. I'd take the treat, at the same time telling him to drop it (to start reinforcing drop it). I'd hold the treat, then give it back. Did it over and over, so he'd learn he didn't have to run with anything, and if something were taken, it would be given right back. We'd always handled him when he was eating, put our hands in his bowl, and even took the bowl up and set it back down; no problem with that. Always did it with treats too.

One night when I got home from work, hub had given him something, and Tucker had taken off under a bed with it...getting into a far corner. Hub tried reaching for it, and Tucker growled. He only growled once. Hub swears it wasn't a puppy growl, but a regular growl, and was so surprised. Hub couldn't reach Tucker nor the treat, so he backed off to cool down, he was so mad. Tucker came out from under the bed after he'd eaten the treat, and hub ignored him...he was still so mad.

From then on for awhile, we held anything and he had to eat from our hand. Nothing In Life Is Free I think it's called. The dog earns treats, and understands that everything good comes from you. We held things and let him eat it (treats). After a time, again he was given things, but if he tried to run, we took the item, STERNLY saying NO, drop it, and he didn't get it back. He got better, and we went back to giving him something, then taking it away for a few seconds like we were oohing over it (what a nice bone!), then giving it back.

The problem went away after a couple of weeks I think. It's called food or possession guarding. I don't know if it's a natural thing they do or not, but he never had a reason to do it at all.

We made sure he couldn't go under the bed, too, after that, but he never went under it again.

That only lasted a short time with him, and anyone can handle him when eating, can take a bone away, and he just waits 'til he gets it back. It's best to get this nipped in the bud when they're small. I'm no expert, but if not checked, it could become a routine or habit, and you don't want that.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

I agree with Rangersmom too. Growling, food/toy possessiveness is a SURE sign that YOU are not the dominant one in the house. I can't say what I would do if my dogs did it. They never have. They also don't run away with "contraband" in their mouth (even as a game) because they know holy heck will fall upon them when Mom catches them. It's best to listen to DROP and get the praise and the cookie. Sometimes Maddy will growl at Grace if she gets too near Maddy's bone etc. I go in at that time and remove the item as well.

I would focus on teaching that COME is an awesome thing to do and treats abound when the people are around. It will make stealing stuff less interesting and them totally fixated on you cuz you never know when a cookie will appear from Mom's pocket. Nothing wrong with luring or bribery. Mom with food in her hand is the ONE IN CONTROL.

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

Hey Chance! Without knowing your household it would be difficult to give advice. However here's a few typical pointers to get back in being the alpha in the house. It will require a bit more work but as someone else stated early, if you focus and are consistent you'll see quick results.

ONE THING IMPORTANT*** - Once you start something and he shows any aggression, you MUST finish it. He can never win. Even though it may mean you get nipped. Do NOT back down. I am a small woman so I physically stand over my dog when he's bad. I don't HIT him at all, I just put my physical presence over him in a dominating way. When this dog is older, he will obviously be able to pull me down the street, I have a few short months to show him who is boss.

-Feed the pup AFTER you have been fed (whenever possible). ALWAYS put your hand in the dry food before you give it to him, just so your scent is on it.
    -Get down next to the food while he's eating. Pretend to eat it. Put your hand near his mouth. Take the food away and tell him to wait. Then give it back with high praise if he is good.
    -Do not let your pup sit on the couch, chair, next to you. It's down on the floor with him, at your feet. He'll be fine. It's our butts that are used to cushions.*
    -Use the leash in the house to "control" him.* You tell him where to go and sit. Wait on a threshold and you go in the room before he does. Give him treats....he'll think that he is having fun. But psychologically you are controlling him.
    -Be careful on tug of war games for now, because he has a slight aggressive streak, everytime he WINS the tug of war with you - it's not good. Just let that go for now.
    -Roll him on his side, and back several times a day. Get him to the point that he is relaxed. I do it while watching TV - and give Treats and Praise. We've actually made it into a "trick"...so he loves to do it for me. (I had to start this when he refused to be put on his side by me - nope nope nope!)
    -Give him a good treat and take it away. The post by DJC1249 was an excellent example of what to do.
    -Likewise take toys away just for the heck of it. Then give them back with praise.
    -Let the dog approach you for affection. This means that you walk into the room, and he will get up and come to YOU. This sounds so trivial, but it's not.
    -He does not sleep on your bed. Not even naps.
    --Lots of exercise - he will listen better.
    -Lots of praise.

Learn the right way to do a correction. In the wild, dogs bite or nip on the neck. Cesar is famous for showing everyone a better way. I make a noise, something like "Ack!" (you choose your own sound) and I hold two fingers together (index and middle) and lightly jab/touch my pup's neck. He responds. Sometimes now I can just make the noise, snap my fingers and point at him with a serious look on my face and he responds. I save my NO, for a more serious correction or something that needs to be stopped immediately.

Most of the time I try not to use Ranger's name when correcting, I want his name to be associated with something postiive.

Keep this up for awhile and control every aspect of his life. He so wants to please you - he should fall in line. It's a pain in the butt to do - but the rewards of it for this short period will be ten-fold later. When you see results after a few weeks....then you can back off some stuff (like leashing him in the house) - but really - a lot should stay. It just won't be such a concentrated effort.

I'm exhausted now. I don't mean to protray I have all the answers...just sharing wtih you what works in my house. Good luck!!! You'll do great!
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

Chance is offline Member

Rangersmom,
    wow, thank you very much for the response!!! I'll start working on it right away!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast