Teething and marrow bones.

Thread: Teething and marrow bones.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultTeething and marrow bones.

Brigetta (5 months) is teething and seems to be regressing when it comes to her "no bite" training. I've been giving her chilly bones, frozen wash clothes (I just read from a recent post), kongs and nylabones. I have also read that some people gave their puppies frozen marrow bones. At the risk of sounding dumb...I was wondering where you get them- I only give my other dog nylabones (although she's bored with them so I would like to try a marrow bone with her) b/c I'm scared to death of blockages so I don't know that I've ever even seen one. Are they something that they can actually consume or if small pieces come off is it ok for them to eat?* Are they something I should not leave her with unattended* in her crate?* :-\
    Thanks in advance!*

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Teething and marrow bones.

I get mine from our butcher, but you can, on occasion, find them at Kroger's or some other mass-food retailer. You might have to ask the guy in the meat area, though.

I would not leave a dog alone with a marrow bone. Perhaps someone will disagree with me, but yes, they will actually eat some of it, and yes, sometimes they can bite off a bit of bone. I have also found that it can lead to loose stools, so I like to be available in case my dogs have to use the facilities after their chew.

I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I get mine at a meat market.

We use beef knuckle bones each one sawed in half. Puff gets half once a week.

Puff found the shin/leg/marrow bones too hard and she didn't sustain much attention to them.

I do ALWAYS trim off the fat and small bones that tend to lie within the fat and cartilage to keep Puff from chewing and possibly choking on a small piece. I also monitor her gnawing because sometimes a small piece breaks off that belongs in the trash rather than in her mouth.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Another reason to monitor: Ants!

We'd let Wesley have one of these every now and again; it was especially useful when we had company and wanted his nose out of 25 strangers' crotches.

We never paid much attention to them long-term, content to let him have the bone over the next several days after company had left.

But about a month ago, one of his work-in-progress bones was sitting on the family room floor and had attraced a zillion ants. ~~hurk~~

Now, when the party's over and the marrow's gone (whichever comes first), the bone goes into the trash.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the advice...and thanks for the heads up on the ants! I went to the butcher after work and bought some that were frozen...so I drove straight home to treat the girls and they are CRAZY over them! I'm about to take them away since it's their first time and I do want to remove some of the marrow. It's weird for me to see them eating something that hasn't been cooked especially since all they ever get are kongs and nylabones!

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence