HOW MUCH DOES YOUR PUPPY WEIGH and HOW MUCH FOOD DO U FEED?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HOW MUCH DOES YOUR PUPPY WEIGH and HOW MUCH FOOD DO U FEED?

DashsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultHOW MUCH DOES YOUR PUPPY WEIGH and HOW MUCH FOOD DO U FEED?

I was just wondering how my dash measures up to others. I think he may be a lil bit chunky, but im curious as to what you all have to say...........

Dash is 5 1/2 months old and weighs 40lbs and eats about 3 cups a day TOTAL, broken into breakfast and dinner!

I can still see a lil bit of his ribs, but around his neck hes got alot of fat, I think?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: HOW MUCH DOES YOUR PUPPY WEIGH and HOW MUCH FOOD DO U FEED?

You're probably seeing loose skin around his neck, not fat. As long as you can easily feel his ribs, but not see them, you're good.

Every dog is different in their food requirements based on their body type, exercise level, etc... so what others feed may not be relevant to your pup Puzzle is 4 months, 35ish lbs, and eats 4-4.5 cups of food a day.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

duckbnot is offline Senior Member

Rocky will be 6 months on Sunday and weighs 45lbs. We feed him 1 3/4 cups twice a day. I also think you're seeing neck skin and not fat.
    <br />Gotta Love a Lab!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

as long as you can feel his ribs and when you look from the top he has a hourglass shape...you will know he is not fat.
    Buck has a lot of lose skin around his neck and has a wrinkly face which makes him seem fat...but if you look at the shape of his body and feel for his ribs you will know he is not "fat".
    He's 6.5 months old and weighs 51lbs. and eats 2 cups of food split twice a day.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

Ranger is 14 weeks old and weighs 25lbs. I feed him 1 cup, 3x a day. He doesn't always eat it all, but usually will. He seems slim still and doesn't wolf the food. I try very hard to NOT overfeed/underfeed. He gets no human food (well sometimes an occasional chip that lands on the floor)*
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Brigetta is 5 months/approx 30lbs and she gets 3 cups a day...which is under the reccomended amount on the bag...but my vet said this was fine for her.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Some Labs grow to be 150+ lbs. as adults while others reach 45 lbs.* With such a wide variation, there's not typical weight or amount to eat.

That said, my Puff (YF, AKC field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) gets a lot of daily exercise (and did even as a pup) and when she was 165 days old (roughly 5 1/2 months) she weighed 37 lbs.

I don't know how much she was eating then, my guess is about 4 cups/day.* I know it had increased to 5 cups/day by the time she was 8 months old and then she'd skip eating for a day or so and her intake gradually declined to its present level -- 2 1/2 cups/day.

Dog's need for food usually goes by their weight -- bigger dogs need more than smaller ones.* It also goes by age -- puppies need 2X to 3X the amount of food that an adult dog at that same weight would need because they need the food energy to not only support thair present weight but all the growth that's going on.* As their rate of growth slows down and they get closer to adult size, then the multiplier (the 2X, the 3X) declines to 1.2X, or 1.1X, and finally 1X.

I'm fortunate that Puff is self-regulating in her food intake, unlike about the 80-90% of Labs with a well-earned and deserved reputation for gluttony.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

DashsMom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for all the replies. I was just trying to hear how everyone else's pup was doing weight wise. I am feeding Dash according to the bag, but Ive never had a non-self regulating food intake dog. Dash is my first, so im paranoid that im starving him, but at the same time I dont want him over weight either. I thought 3 cups was too much for him, but I do feel better hearing that others feed theirs more and they are around the same weight and age. I understand that all of them are different, but it is nice to hear what others are at! Thanks again

PLEASE KEEP REPLYING!!!!!

Maddie is offline Senior Member

We just got dale 3 weeks ago. He is now 18 weeks this weekend. He was at the vet last week and weighed in at 23 pounds. We feed him 3 cups a day at 1 cup each feeding.

Seattlemom is offline Senior Member

Toby is 10 months old, 68 lbs. He eats 3 cups of dry food per day and probably four "cookies" or something of the sort. He averages one Kong every three days (because I forget to find it and fill it!).
    Erin &amp; Toby<br />

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast