Designated bathroom spot

Thread: Designated bathroom spot

jessiesmama is offline Junior Member

DefaultDesignated bathroom spot

Jessie is now 8 mo old and I have been tryng to teach her to go in a certain area. She will do it fine when I have her on leash but when we are just out playing and she has to go she just sqats whereever. Does anyone have any advice or success with this? TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Designated bathroom spot

Good luck with that Naturally dogs will want to go in different places. I too have a "potty yard" (8' x 20') that I've fenced in. If my dogs are just going out to potty they'll happily stay in the designated area, but if we're out playing in the regular yard, rarely do they run in there to potty. With the majority of "potties" going on in the "potty yard", clean up is still pretty easy.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

wishingforjoy is offline Junior Member

Hello There,

I have a 6 1/2 month old black lab named Kenda. We started her designated potty training when she was fixed 3 weeks ago. We figured it would be easier to train her when she had to be leashed. We have found her about 75% of the time going to the designated spot to go potty, mainly for number 2. We can actually go out with her, when she starts to do the smelling, we yell to the back and the most part she will run to the back and go. We also have been treating her and lots of praises. I know it can be done but it takes alot of patience and praise. Good luck!

Sherry
    What mom?<br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

From the time I brought him home, I took mine to the upper side yard near a field to potty...always the same place. Hub would throw the poop in the field, and after a few days Tucker just started stepping into the field to pee and poop. We're lucky, 'cause we don't have to clean the yard because of that. What's funny, though, is that he always still goes to the field to potty, or if somewhere else, he finds tall grass or wooded area to potty in (reminds him of the field).
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

Maddie is offline Senior Member

I was going to post this same question. We have an area that is L-shaped and about 3' wide by Im guessing 10' long that I have designated the potty area. We still take him out on a leash - he's 17 weeks - so he has no choice but to go where he is lead. Now mind you, sometimes, like this morning, he just downright refused to go anywhere in that entire area. I stayed out there for 20 minutes, he didnt go, just whined and tried to get up the hill, so i took him in and put him in the crate. Its very frustrating, and I do not know what he'll do once he's trained on the invisible fence and will go out by himself off leash. Hope for the best i guess.

FieldLabLover is offline Senior Member

The trick with the potty area is to leave the grass long. Put it at the back of your yard and throw in some wild flower seeds. They will head to it.