How long does it take to understand peeing is for outside?

Thread: How long does it take to understand peeing is for outside?

Maclaren is offline Junior Member

DefaultHow long does it take to understand peeing is for outside?

So our little pup, Strider, is learning the house rules.* So far, he kinda understands that pooping is for outside, so when he has to go, he'll meander to the door and we let him out and does his thing.

But he seems to think that peeing is fair game inside or outside.* We have caught him in the act while inside every time, scolded him, and carried him outside to his spot where he finishes up.* But he still keeps thinking peeing is OK indoors...

(We do clean up with proper deodorizer.)* How long can we expect to keep this up?* How long before your pup stopped peeing indoors?* Any tips we could try?*

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How long does it take to understand peeing is for outside?

Honestly, at this age, you only have yourself to scold if he potties inside...he doesn't know any better and you should have been watching him * Puppies literally have to pee before and after eating, drinking, sleeping and playing. If he's awake and moving, bring him out every 15-30 mins right now. If you can't keep an eye on him, potty him and put him in his crate for a while. A hint...if he's not paying attenion to you or a toy, he has to potty.

Oh and to answer your question...it depends on the pup, but if you're on top of things, you can realistically have him get the basic idea within a couple of weeks.
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

DebraV7419 is offline Senior Member

A hint...if he's not paying attenion to you or a toy, he has to potty.

I know this is true but I still chuckled when I read it - great advice! I wrote this down and will post it for my family to see.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Is your pup crate trained?

When my dogs were pups they were kept on a strict routine. I gave them no free roam time in the house for the first few weeks --it was either crate or outside, crate or outside, crate or outside until they got the hang of it. Using this method I could count on my hands the number of accidents they had. Its not "cruel" to allow your dog no free roam time in the house...its practical. All pups should be doing in the house is sleeping (they need LOTS of rest and should be sleeping most of the day) and outdoors is for play. When they start being more reliable THEN they can start getting some free roam time in the house.

Scolding him won't work either. It will just confuse him. He should be either crated or supervised 100% of the time. If you choose to allow him loose in the house, look for the obvious need to potty signs...sniffing around and acting frantic. Take him out immediately and praise like mad.

Maclaren is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the tips! He doesn't get to roam the house unsupervised, we're always watching him probably honestly 99.5% of the time, and he's only in the kitchen/dining roooms so it's a small area. I guess we're not quick enough to catch on to his pre-pee pattern yet and it tends to happen in the 0.5% of the time we divert our attention
    :-\ We're gonna try to be more vigilant