What to DO with Labs on these HOT days???

Thread: What to DO with Labs on these HOT days???

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultWhat to DO with Labs on these HOT days???

Today is waaaay too hot for man or beast to be outside. I took Buddy for a walk early this morning, and played with him outside after that. Then he was ready for a 2 hour nap. But now he's raring to go again, and he's being very naughty in the house! I took him out for a potty break and tried to get him to just stroll around the yard with me but he wanted to come right back in. He's getting into everything, counter surfing, tearing all the magnets off the fridge, jumping on the furniture, you name it. How do you keep your labs occupied and happy when stuck inside?? I don't want to crate him all day..... help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: What to DO with Labs on these HOT days???

Its a pain, isn't it? we have been having temperatures in the 90's and with no A/C and not even a paddling pool to use (we have a hose pipe ban!) both me and the dogs have been suffering. I have been taking them out for an hours walk early in the morning and a shorter half hour walk in the evening. Longer walks or play time are totally ruled out during the day...it is WAY too hot. Luckily for us the heat makes them sluggish and they are sleeping pretty much all day on and off lounging on the cool kitchen tiles.

My only suggestion would be to keep Buddy stimulated mentally. Lots of kongs, marrow bones, obedience work outs, hiding treats around the house etc. If you have A/C you can also play fetch, tug, chase and so on. Swimming is also great in hot weather if you have access to a pool or lake.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

My beloved Bess (BF, AKC bench line, 55 lbs., 1967-81) had to ALWAYS go out for retrieving whether the
    temp was below zero or above 100 degrees.

When it was VERY hot, we did most retrieving from a pond where the water would temper any overheating.

IF you have some water nearby, I suggest you use that.

Also, adapt your sleep-awake schedule to do your Lab's exercise early in the morning when temps are lowest
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

biscuit is offline Senior Member

It's hard- I agree! I will get up early with Biscuit to walk him, and then he's pretty sleepy during the heat of the day, and doesn't want to do much anyway. In the late afternoon, I take him to a pond for swimming. Other than that, I give him a couple of kongs and he pretty much hangs out. It reallly seems to drain him when it's hot and humid.
    <br />Kristin &amp; Biscuit

BuddyHsMom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Its a pain, isn't it? we have been having temperatures in the 90's and with no A/C and not even a paddling pool to use (we have a hose pipe ban!) both me and the dogs have been suffering. I have been taking them out for an hours walk early in the morning and a shorter half hour walk in the evening. Longer walks or play time are totally ruled out during the day...it is WAY too hot. Luckily for us the heat makes them sluggish and they are sleeping pretty much all day on and off lounging on the cool kitchen tiles.

My only suggestion would be to keep Buddy stimulated mentally. Lots of kongs, marrow bones, obedience work outs, hiding treats around the house etc. If you have A/C you can also play fetch, tug, chase and so on. Swimming is also great in hot weather if you have access to a pool or lake.
    Oh, sounds like you have it even worse than us! We do have A/C so at least we're comfortable inside. Our house is quite small though, so that makes it tough for playing fetch, but we do anyway. And we have a pond in the yard so Buddy did take a couple dips this morning. I didn't want him to go in this afternoon because he takes so long to dry (even when I towel him off) and I don't care for a wet dog in the house. It's still 88 tonite at 7 pm but he's out with his "dad" playing and I know he'll be in and out of the pond several times. I hope it's cooler tomorrow, as "dad" is taking him to visit a friend with labs to have some fun and get some training pointers. I know Buddy will have a blast, as he doesn't get to see other dogs very often.

try to keep cool....

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

If you have stairs within your home, they can help exercise your Lab.

A friend gave me a dozen or so duck wings (but anything would do).

When tornados or lightning were in the near vicinity and we could not safely go out BUT Bess, of course, HAD to have her daily exercise, I scattered the 12 wings around the upstairs and then sent Bess up to find and retrieve them -- which she did one at a time.

As she became more proficient at finding them I also became more nefarious in hiding them.

I'd make one trip upstairs to hide them and Bess would make at least 14-18 trips upstairs to get them.

Worked great for us.

BUT the going out for 45-60 minutes of swimming retrieves from the pond was always far better.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

FieldLabLover is offline Senior Member

Big kiddie pool before they are all gone. Toss a tennis ball or air toy in there. I also have a horse troft for the divers.

Maclaren is offline Junior Member

Yep, a tennis ball and a kiddie pool does the trick!

Or sleeping in front of the vent on cool kitchen tiles...

Dani is offline Senior Member

um....river, pool, lake, anything with water.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

Ranger has claimed every vent in the house! Do you have a treadmill? I'm going to train him on that very soon. It will help with the incremental weather conditions where I live.

.................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />