Training help, please
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Training help, please

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

DefaultTraining help, please

Hi everyone~

I am trying to teach Tatum "come." The problem is, while she runs from me when she is loose, as soon as a put a leash or rope on her, she follows me everywhere and I can't get her to stay! Perhaps I need to teach "stay" first. Honestly, I don't remember in the slightest how to do that. I am trying not to scare her, so everything needs to be really gentle and slow.

Thank you!
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Lab Tales is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Training help, please

We worked on "Come" with Adama on a 20' rope at Puppy Kindergarden. The trainer had us take her to an area with distractions (we chose the food aisle) and when she got interested in something, I would quietly walk away from her. Then, I would say "Here!" (we overused "come" and we had to change the command) and make all kinds of fuss to get her to come - if she wouldn't, I would reel her in :P. After two classes of that and tons of treats, she started to respond. We still work on it every day though...
    Laura &amp; John<br />Adama - 6 months old<br />

Kathryn Guest

I have yet to let Dakota off leash outside. She is even chained in the back yard even though we watch her EVERYTIME she is out. She seems to be able to get out of our gate.. When we are out on leash she seems to be very in-tune to me. I think she knows I have treats.
    We did watch me before come. Dakota knows when I tell her to watch me she will at some point get a treat. She looks at me I show her I have a treat and she comes running.

For stay our trainer had us sit our dogs in a heel and then move very SLOW in front of them. toe to toe. make corrections as needed. at first it was a move in front move back and treat. now 5 weeks later we are able to move 1 large step back move right to left with our dogs staying. Dakota will stay any where I put her as long as she can see me. once I am out of her sight she freaks and needs to find me.
    I hope you are able to get Tatum to come. It scares me so bad when a dog wont come when called.
    Good luck!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I recommend "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Teach STAY very closely. Stand w/her sitting in heel. Give the command and the signal (right hand palm toward nose) and pivot right beside her. Go no further than beside her nose. If she breaks, you're there to fix.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

EVENTUALLY, you can get to the end of the 6' leash.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

EVENTUALLY, use a longline. Then a sharkline. Then proof it w/distractions and new settings. ;D

Bob, I've ordered said book. Thank you to Sunjin, too, for recommending it.

Quote Originally Posted by dweck
    Go no further than beside her nose. If she breaks, you're there to fix.
    Hi Dan~

Question: what do you mean by "fix?"

I sit her, and then say "stay" with palm down towards nose. I step to my right and she stands up. I stand back in front of her and say "sit." She sits. I say "stay" while moving palm down towards nose. I step to the side. She stands up.

I'm just not getting through.

Thank you!

Throw the ball, damn it!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Stay...

I think what Dweck means is, in the beginning... DO NOT move away from her... give her the "stay" command and then sit there and count to 10-20-30 seconds... work your way up to a minute.

Then start gradually moving away, as far as the end of the leash... start slow at 10 seconds... work your way up. Make sense?
    ~Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    Stay...

I think what Dweck means is, in the beginning... DO NOT move away from her... give her the "stay" command and then sit there and count to 10-20-30 seconds... work your way up to a minute.

Then start gradually moving away, as far as the end of the leash... start slow at 10 seconds... work your way up. Make sense?
    OHHH that makes sense. Thank you!

J&A know stay, but I just can't remember how I taught them.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Yeah... we JUST started working on this in obedience class, well and of course Ender having the neurotic Type A mom has been doing stays with distractions for 2 months now. It's sooooo hilarious to give Ender a sit/stay command and walk away while the yorkie runs around, sits for a nanosecond and then runs, the boxer keeps jumping up on her owner trying to get the treat, the "other" lab in the class gets too excited at seeing the boxer jump and breaks to go play with her, and the scotty and pug mix just stand there watching their owners.

Eric thinks I swagger around Ender during this exercise but he shut up when the trainer came over, bounced the ball in front of Ender, Ender didn't even flinch, just looked at MOM to see if it was okay for him to move and then sat there patiently. Eric then started swaggering
    ~Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Ender's Mom
    ...when the trainer came over, bounced the ball in front of Ender, Ender didn't even flinch, just looked at MOM to see if it was okay for him to move and then sat there patiently. Eric then started swaggering
    Aly has this kind of stay, too. As I mentioned, I can't remember how I did it! Of course, I think it was a little different because she was a very self confident puppy and I wasn't worried about scaring or traumitizing her. Tatum, however, is a different kind of creature. I just want everything to be a positive experience for her.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast