Introducing new pup to old cat! -- Advice?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing new pup to old cat! -- Advice?

Maclaren is offline Junior Member

DefaultIntroducing new pup to old cat! -- Advice?

What's the best way to introduce a cantankerous 15 year old cat to a rumbunctious 9 week old pup? We want them to be friends!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

SirFergus is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Introducing new pup to old cat! -- Advice?

Good Luck!! We are still trying to get Fergus & our cat to be friends!! He's so playful and just chases her everywhere & is always mouthing her! It doesn't help that the cat is a total B**CH!!

Sarah & Fergus
    British Columbia
    Canada

ConDarMom is offline Junior Member

When you figure this out, let us know. I'm still working on it. It was a piece of cake with my 13 year old pup, but my 4 month old is a different story altogether!

[attachment deleted by admin]
    Thank goodness for little labs

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Seattlemom is offline Senior Member

Always make sure your cat has a vertical escape -- we don't allow Toby on the furniture, so Sam can always get away from him. Sam sleeps in our bed, and since his crate is in our room, I had to carry her to her place for a few nights before she realized it was okay to walk past the crate. Because she is 15, we don't want her to feel dethroned, so we give her as much attention as possible. Though they don't really play, she does harass him from a higher place, and tries so smack him with her paws. Oh, we did have to move her cat box because he wanted to eat the cat poop and sometimes she would have trouble getting to it because he would be in the way -- just a thought, because she had a couple of accidents before we moved it to a low table.

Erin &amp; Toby<br />

Maclaren is offline Junior Member

Well Dinky, our 15 year old cat, still feels he has the power and smacks Strider when he gets too close... Maybe one day, they can stand sitting near each other... but in the mean time, we'll just continue to give Dinky as much as attention as he's used to... Thanks all !

Lab Tales is offline Senior Member

My six year old beast of cat can't stand my pup and they've been living together for 4 months! I just hope that when Adama gets older, she will stop chasing Obie and that at some point the cat will quit initiating the fights! :
    Laura &amp; John<br />Adama - 6 months old<br />

Kathryn Guest

We never really had any trouble with Dakota and Dusty my brothers cat.* I held Dakota while my mom brought the cat over OR I held the dog while the cat came over.* Dusty is a very friendly cat.* Our other 2 cats cant stand dogs.* We have dogs that go after the cats here and at the time Dusty had only been around our dogs so he didn't know any better.* Then I had someone dump a litter of kittens on me and Dakota took it well.* She would mouth them but not bite.

Mocha Guest

I just recently got a 10 month old chocolate lab named Maggie from a family that couldn't keep her any longer due to the mother having severe allergies to her. (She has had NO training - or should I say BAD training.) We have 2 older cats and one young cat. The neat thing about Maggie is that she looks just like our dog that we recently had to have put to sleep so I think they thought that Abbey came back home. Therefore, the 2 older cats did not run away as soon as they saw Maggie which made it a bit easier at first. Well, the chasing has started and so has the training. The best thing to do is to make sure your dog knows the sit and stay command. Let the cats walk by while the dog is in that position (if possible) as many times throughout the day until they can get used to each other. Then work on the down command. Always reward your dog often. Whenever possible I try to have them in the same room just to get used to being around each other. After running some energy out of Maggie I bring the the cats around. I sit on the floor with all the animals in the same room. I Pet the cats and Maggie, let Maggie lick and sniff them. It has been 3 weeks and now the cats know that if they don't run away Maggie won't chase them. The younger cat still runs at times, but maybe she likes the game. She runs on top of the shed and that way she can look down on Maggie from a safe haven and just watches her play. I do agree that the cats do need a safe escape just in case. Hope that helps. It really does take time, but they will get along.

imported_MilesMom is offline Senior Member

LOL!! I can see by that cat's body language that she is not too happy with the new addition to the family. Good luck!
    <br /><br />Grand River Run Genaration &quot;Miles&quot;&nbsp; CGC RN, RL1, RL2, RA, CW-SR, C-OB1, RL1X, RL3, RE

deneen is offline Senior Member

You should send that puppy to me! TOO DARN CUTE! I have no advice I don't have a cat but I've heard they can take pretty good care of themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast