Peeing out of excitement when seeing the leash

Thread: Peeing out of excitement when seeing the leash

DashsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultPeeing out of excitement when seeing the leash

Dash just began to do something this week that I understand, but do not know how to control. When I take him out of the kitchen, where he sleeps, in the morning to bring him outside to go potty, he gets so excited when I get the leash on him that he pees at the door and all the way outside downstairs to the grass. Now, he doesnt do it when the doorbell rings, or when hes getting attention or just overall excited and hes only been doing it first thing in the am.
    He doenst get water after 8pm and I bring him straight outside from the kitchen to the front door with his leash on in the process and this had been going on for a week now. I know hes just so happy to use the restroom in the am, but ive had him now for over 2 months and this is all new and weve changed nothing in his normal routine. He gets brought out at 11pm for the evening and never wakes up or uses the kitchen floor through the night! Should I be worried, or does anyone have any ideas on what to do?
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Peeing out of excitement when seeing the leash

i always suspect a UTI when peeing changes, but you state that he is only doing it in the am, so i doubt that's it in this case.
    can you have the doors all unlocked & ready to let you exit quickly Before you actually get him? and try having a cookie or other goodie in your hand, lure him, and keep the leash in your pocket until you actually get to the door, as a way to distract him some. have him 'sit', and give him the goodie [hopefully a chewy one!] while you put on the leash. then show him the second goodie as you whisk out the door. keep using it to lure him, keep his attention. he gets that one when you get to the yard, then a third one for peeing there. [start using a ''pee'' command, any word you like]
    it sounds like he has, like Pavlov's dog, become conditioned to the sequence of morning events, so change the routine a little and see if it helps.

DashsMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Peeing out of excitement when seeing the leash

Thanks for the suggestions, I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one with this issue. I tired it (the treat method) and it worked. He was set in his routine at such a young age (happy for me!) that I think a little change grasped his attention to his peeing issue. ThANKS