Just Labradors banner

Really confused about when it's safe for puppies to go in public

15K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Buckyball 
#1 ·
Hi all!

One more question. We're going to Lake Tahoe next week and I was hoping to be able to take Lexie to part of the lake to get her feet wet. I've read on this forum that so many people have started their labs swimming at lakes @ 8 weeks. When I talked the the vet yesterday they advised against it because she's not done with her shots. She's 13.5 weeks and had three of the combined shots (actually four, one when she was at the breeder) and she only has a Coronavirus and Rabies left.

The place that we're staying at has a huge meadow behind it and a really nice stream (although it may be more than a stream since we had so much rain this year) behind it and I was really hoping to be able to take her running around where we are staying. The vet tech said if I kept Lexie away from other dog's poop and pee she should be fine (this was in a whisper so the other techs wouldn't hear).

I am not going to bring her to downtown, dog parks, or other areas with a lot of dogs, but I would like her to be able to run around the meadow with us and Rob's son who is visiting from Idaho. I'm just wondering how you guys handle this with your young pups.

Thanks!

Robin

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all she should be fine if you take her - keep her away from other dogs, poop, etc. Second of all - she's had way too many shots for only being 13 weeks old. The new protocol starts vaccinations at 8 weeks then spaces them 3-4 weeks apart. Here's a quote from the J.Dodd protocol

Dogs and cats immune systems mature fully at 6 months. If a modified live virus vaccine is given after 6 months of age, it produces immunity, which is good for the life of the pet (i.e.: canine distemper, parvo, feline distemper). If another MLV vaccine is given a year later, the antibodies from the first vaccine neutralize the antigens of the second vaccine and there is little or no effect. The titer is not "boosted" nor are more memory cells induced.

Not only are annual boosters for parvo and distemper unnecessary, they subject the pet to potential risks of allergic reactions and immune-mediated haemolytic anemia. There is no scientific documentation to back up label claims for annual administration of MLV vaccines.

Puppies receive antibodies through their mothers milk. This natural protection can last 8 - 14 weeks. Puppies & kittens should NOT be vaccinated at LESS than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced.

Vaccination at 6 weeks will, however, DELAY the timing of the first highly effective vaccine.

Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart SUPPRESS rather than stimulate the immune system.

A series of vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age.

Another vaccination given sometime after 6 months of age (usually at l year 4 mo) will provide LIFETIME IMMUNITY.

#3 ·
I agree, your pup will be ok on your trip as long as you keep her away from major "dog areas".

Yes, there is a new vaccine protocol but most people aren't using it yet. My dogs all had puppy shots at 7, 10, 13, 16 wks and they're all perfectly healthy ;)

#5 ·
I don't want to get in an argument, but if that's true in your area, thats great! As I said, Puzzle just finished her 4th puppy shot this week. I booster my adults at a year and then every three years and some vets around year still raise their eyebrows at that. Will I eventually follow Dr. Dodd...I don't know I'm happy with my vets and this is what were doing right now. At a Dr Hutch seminar I went to this spring he said he's still not comfortable with even the 3 year booster and recommends every other year on breeding stock. If I remember correctly, a thread on the breeder's forum not too long ago was on this very topic and not too many were following the protocol as you've posted here.

I just don't think it's necessary to scare a poster who's using her vet recommended protocol that millions of perfectly healthy pets follow ;)

#6 ·
I think your pup is fine to enjoy the vacation as long as you stay away from major dog areas.

We started bringing Grace to a public park at 11 weeks and she started formal puppy obedience at 12 weeks. She went through the standard shots protocol and did fine, no health issues (from being out too early to having too many shots so young).

My trainer mentioned that (and I don't know if this is true or not) that parvo can't really survive in a warm sunny environment...we were living in So Cal at the time. This lady is big time into labs, field and hunt test/obedience etc. She also said that like when I brought Grace to the park at 12 weeks, the shots as well as just being out in the world will naturally help her build her immune system so that diseases don't hit her that hard... But like I said, who knows if that's all true or not...

#7 ·
I agree with JacksAndLabs! I had mentioned the "new" protocol to my 25+ years expereinced vet, and he hadnt adopted it yet either. All of my dogs were completely vaccinated by 16 weeks and they are all healthy and happy with no problems. I guess it depends on the area youre in, but to comment on the original quote, I wouldnt worry too mch about your lil one. Just keep an real close eye on her (like you do anyways) and shell be fine. Thatll be sooo much fun for her at this crucial developmental stage in her puppy life. Dash is jealous, we dont have any wide open fields real close to where we are. :(

#8 ·
I thought I responded to this thread earlier, but I think I must have responded to another....I really shouldn't be allowed on the computer before I have a cup of coffee.

We're back from Tahoe and we had a great time. Lexie did great, she's not too into swimming, but I'm sure that will come with time. Our cabin was beautiful and there were great trails for us to roam. Lexie really loved the long grass, she was so excited!

Thank you all for taking the time to reassure me about her shot schedule. You're the best. :)

#9 ·
is it really that dangerous?? im taking toby and rusty to an open field that's in front of my house.. the problem is that other dog owners around here do the same.. right now they only have one vaccine (tomorrow is #2!).. im kinda worried cause it really is kinda of a minefield.. ::) maybe they are better off just going in my backyard.. good thing about that is that they could just go on their own when ever they feel like it instead of me having to open up the front door and crossing the street with them at all hours of the night.. i guess i would have to start over potty training and everything.. the bad thing would be that my backyard would smell like **** and all the cleanup process.. which is really better? is there really such a big risk of my boys getting something?

#10 ·
Puppies & kittens should NOT be vaccinated at LESS than 8 weeks. Maternal immunity will neutralize the vaccine and little protection (0-38%) will be produced.

Vaccination at 6 weeks will, however, DELAY the timing of the first highly effective vaccine.

Vaccinations given 2 weeks apart SUPPRESS rather than stimulate the immune system.

A series of vaccinations is given starting at 8 weeks and given 3-4 weeks apart up to 16 weeks of age.
Most breeders I know are now using a high titer vaccine that overrides the maternal antibody, but are giving vaccines at 3 week intervals starting at 6 weeks. Those recommendations probably predate the high titer vaccine. If you start at 8 weeks it is even longer before the puppy can safely go outside the yard. As far as the risk it depends on how much Parvo is in your area and how much dogs roam that are shedding the virus.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.