Potty Training Regression - 6 months / after spay

Thread: Potty Training Regression - 6 months / after spay

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultPotty Training Regression - 6 months / after spay

For the past few months CoCo has done very well with potty training... about once a week there would be a puddle related to "excitement-peeing" when someone came to the house and squealed and petted her, she would trickle a bit. This has been getting better though (she doesn't do it when we come home, and she doesn't do it when she goes to the in-laws anymore...)

However, since her spay surgery on Thursday she has at least once a day done a full squat and pee on the floor! Today it was on our guest bed, just after DH had taken her outside and as he was playing with her.

It doesn't appear to be an incontinence or infection issue, because its not a dribble its a full on squat-to-pee.. much more deliberate!

So I'm wondering if this is caused by the spay surgery or if it is a product of "teenage regression" I've read about here.... and also, how do we deal with it?? Go back to taking her outside every hour, perhaps start a click'n'treat when she pees outside? She already does pee on command... for the most part.
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Potty Training Regression - 6 months / after spay

Wow, that's really weird...Brigetta was spayed last Wednesday and she has also been peeing inside. She is not 100% housebroken- she may have an accident once or twice a week, however since Wednesday she has peed at least once every day inside. She'll be 5 months on the first- (I wanted to wait to have her spayed, but it was part of the adoption agreement). I was actually at the vet today (she had an allergic reaction to her stitches) and didn't think to mention it.* :-\

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

Ah, poor Brigetta, I hope she heals up quickly!

Thankfully CoCo hasn't had any issues with the spay surgery, other than being groggy the first night and a bit sore for the first 1-2 days. Since then its been a struggle to keep her low-key while she heals!

No more accidents yesterday after the pee-on-the-bed incident. We'll see how today goes!
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thank you! Brigetta basically slept for the first day and a half...now all she wants to do is play...she keeps bringing me her ball to play fetch* :-[ I can definitely relate to the struggles of keeping her "low-key"!

I'm glad to hear that CoCo hasn't had any more accidents. I hope she has a speedy recovery as well!

No accidents to report since I made this post!

Her incision is healing up very well, and when I prod at it she doesn't mind one bit so its obviously not sore.
    ~Jo & CoCo

I think CoCo has brought Brigetta good luck because she hasn't had any accidents in a day and a half!!!! Thank you CoCo* I'm glad to hear CoCo is healing well! Brigetta has a pretty big knot on her poor stomach from a reaction...luckily it doesn't seem to bother her at all.

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

well, having been 'spayed' myself awhile back--i can tell you that even though the outer incision seems healed, the insides [which are soooooo NOT used to being handled, exposed to air, cut up, etc etc] are very tender, and can swell.
    even a little swelling in such a tightly-packed space can cause an extreme urgency to 'go' for sometime after surgery, i sure felt it!
    if any of you have been pregnant, remember the urgency you felt at several times during the 9-month 'swelling'? like that, only 3X worse!

That makes a lot of sense. I have noticed that Brigetta has been peeing more frequently. Thanks for the post.