Rolling Over or on Back

Thread: Rolling Over or on Back

brianttu is offline Senior Member

DefaultRolling Over or on Back

Allie has a real issue with Shannon and I where she REFUSES to lay on her back and expose her tummy. I've tried both food and force to get her to roll over on command. I know she knows the command and in the past did it without thinking twice but ever sense the doctors spayed her, she became timid. I dont want to push the issue to the point that shes physically upset, but I would really like to resolve the issue.

Last night I attempted to lure her with treats, but everytime I took it behind her head, she would return to a sit. I'd tell her to lay down again, but her downs were not full downs, her feet were tucked under her for a quick spring to a stand or sit. I worked that portion out and even got her on her side MANY times, but never completely showing her belly. I tried a few forced roll overs to show her what I wanted, but she wrestled with me a good bit. She allowed me to force a roll over twice before she completely shut down on me... I became frustrated and gave up before I upset her to the point of no return. I didn't want to re-enforce what the doctors must have done to her (held her down on her back while shaving her), but I still want to rub her belly and have her roll over...

Any ideas/suggestions/successes? ??? ??? ???
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rolling Over or on Back

personally? Just my gut reaction would be to treat and praise her anytime she layed on her side... naturally... lots of cuddles... gently rubbing her tummy and so forth... until she gets comfortable with this again.

But that's just my gut feeling. I wouldn't press it.
    ~Lindsay

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

I doubt this has anything to do with her being spayed. They are under anesthesia and not "forced" to be belly up...she shouldn't remember a thing

What type of surface are you trying to get her to roll over on?
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

I can't get Jacob to expose his belly on command, either, although he will roll over for a good scritch when he wants one.

I'm interested to see what people say about this.
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

Usually tile or carpet...I've tried both... When she feels confortable and is running around in the grass, she will roll over and wiggle to scratch her back, but you cant approach her or she will quickly return to her feet. We pamper and spoil the crap out of her, so I hope its not a trust issue or anything...

theoconbrio is offline Senior Member

First off, good for you to quit when you became frustrated. I wish I could remember to do that all the time. You should never train when frustrated or angry.

Is it possible that she didn't understand at first what you wanted, and then became confused and frustrated, and is now just refusing to deal with it? I had some problems like that with Theo when he was younger, and I realized it was because I had confused him and after a while he just wanted no part of it.

At this point I'd hazard a guess that your best bet will be to try to shape the behavior in increments, rather than to force anything. Whenever you see her lying on her side, give her a quick praise and a treat. If you know how to use a clicker or a marker word, this will go faster.

Does she have a good, fast down?

She has a solid down and will only break it for three things...1) she feels threatened by something approaching her 2) she sees someone new shes dying to meet 3) when I my wife or I approach...I'm going to see my trainer tonight Im going to ask her to show me what will work and use Allie as an example...A few months ago she helped us with an outside down, because before my trainers help, Allie refused to down in new outside environments but inside was fine. Now she downs more than sits which is ok with me when we are sitting still...

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

have you taught her "play dead" or "show belly?"
    these postures may help her untuck her legs from underneth, so she can then progress to roll over.

it is a bit strange that she knows roll over and used to do it but doesn't want to anymore.

if she is food motivated, but still not doing it, have you tried using a really special yummy treat?

luke and taylor LOVE roll over. i say roll over, and they'll do it, and if i don't treat fast enough, they drop and roll over and over again.
    they also roll rover when i'm trying to teach a new trick. when i was teaching "stand" taylor was having a hard time with this, and so she'd do her favorite trick, hoping that she would get rewarded for roll over since she didn't quite understand what i wanted when i said, stand, and she wanted to be rewards sooo badly.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

After my hour of complete frustration, my wife worked on it the next day a good bit. She got Allie to lay on her side and roll over for her 2-3 times yesterday so she is making progress. I think im going to leave that trick to her, because I dont wanna push it. Also yesterday for the first time in a long while, she up and rolled over for a tummy rub RIGHT when I got home from work...It blew me away...Im sure Shannon's working with her had something to do with her asking for a tummy rub...

I hope she can solve this one for me since Ive been unsuccessful...