Suddenly accidents
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suddenly accidents

dreamer is offline Senior Member

DefaultSuddenly accidents

LIndy had been doing so well with the housetraining but for a few days now she will go outside and do nothing then come in and look at us and pee or poop in the kitchen. What is up with that???? We had only a few accidents in all her 5 weeks since she's been here but now suddenly she's having them.
    Any insight??? BTW, she is 14 weeks old now.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

chocolatecoverdlab is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Suddenly accidents

Hmmm...I'm not really sure, hopefully someone else will have better advice. The only thing that comes to my mind is the possibility of a UT infection? Jaida had one once and that is the only time she has ever gone in the house.
    Cadey, mama to Jaida and Bali

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

She's still a wee pup, so "expect" there to be mistakes. If she doesn't do her "duty" outside, then put her right back into her crate, and take her outside again in 20 minutes. Repeat until she has peed and pooped! Pups can "forget" what they are outside for, especially if there are interesting smells, or you are playin with them, or a butterfly flits by, or....well you ge the idea!

And for what it is worth, my kids would typically poop twice while outside, especially if crated for several hours. It was frustrating when I'd take them outside, they'd poop and when we'd come back in about 20 mins later they'd start to squat to poop! Fortunately, I'd see it and get them outside in time. But before I cought on I started to think evil of what they were trying to "do" to me. They just did not get it all out in one poop!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well it has gotten even more interesting. It seems she doesn't want to "go" in the grass. She will on the porch, but when we put her on the grass she jumps right back off and wants to go inside. I'm really baffled with this all of a sudden no potty on grass thing. It's like she's decided she likes a hard surface to go on. Has anyone dealt with this? I was sooo proud of how she was getting the whole going outside thing. We had expanded her territory to another room and she was doing so good. Sooo confusing.

Jan
    Jan is offline Senior Member

Corby (4.5 months) has never liked going on grass. We have a woodchip path that he uses, and out front, a strip of gravel that he always pees on before walks (otherwise, he sometimes waits till we get home!). Do you have a small area of mulch (woodchips, bark, stones) that your pup could use? Plus, poop is easy to pick up, and it saves your lawn. Good luck!

Well so far today I've been able to lure her out to the grass with a treat and she'll go potty while she's there. So I guess that's what we'll have to do for a while. The mulch is a good idea. I just wish I knew why she is opposed to grass all of a sudden. It has rained for a few days, maybe it's just wet grass she doesn't like.

UPDATE- She has done great all day today. I don't even need to go out on the grass with her, I just stand on the porch and she has pottied in the grass all day!!!Yay! NOt sure what her problem was yesterday. Maybe it was the wet grass.

Buckyball is offline Senior Member

My pup regressed a bit around that age. He did great from age 9weeks to 14 weeks...no accidents nothing. Then suddenly one day he got up and walked over and peed while he was staring me in the eye! After that incident it was back to Housetraining 101. I took him out his leash everytime he came out of his crate, 10mins after drinking water, after eating, after playing, basically every 20-30mins I'd take him out on his leash and wait for him to go potty and not come in till he did.
    Your pup might regress again around age 5.5 months -6 months. You just have to keep a close eye on her for a while

It may have been the wet grass. Surprisingly there are some pups who do not like the rain and rather not go out in it. My friend's lab is like that. One time she held it for 10 hours straight because she just would not go out in the rain. This dog loves swimming and all that but ask her to go potty in the rain and she will absolutely refuse but she doesn't go in the house either so that's good. She's about 5 years old...can't expect a pup of few weeks old to hold out that long so in their case...accidents happen.
    <3 01/01/2006-03/18/2017 <3

brianttu is offline Senior Member

Puppies will pee/poop and stare you down if they are upset. Make sure your pup isn't upset with the amount of attention its getting. Allie got upset at about 7 months and she was potty trained at 3 months really well. So when she went for no reason, and without a sign, I knew she was trying to tell us something... Keep a look out for what your dog might trying to tell you if you think its on purpose...

Else keep up the potty training and stay consistant... Consistancy is the key!
    Thanks,<br /><br />Brian<br /><br /><br />CGC, TDI Certified

rangersmom is offline Senior Member

I'm glad to hear others are still having a few accidents. Ranger is almost completly trained, but he got excited after a playful round and pee'd in front of his Dad. Then yesterday I had to fuss at him and pee'd in front of the door. He rarely has a poop mistake. And if he does, he will tell on himself. He barks at it!

I can't wait until we are all done with it because I'm going to have my carpets professionally cleaned!!!!

Dogs know that they shouldn't pee/poop in the house. I don't rub his nose in it or anything but while I'm cleaning it I may look at him and say "Do business OUTSIDE, this is baad". He totally knows and hates that cleaner smell (something to get rid of the odor and clean it. He will sulk down and come up and kiss me. So funny.
    .................................................. ...................................<br />check out my baby&#039;s blog: http://rangerthelab.com<br /><br />

sKoTt is offline Junior Member

in my week of being a dad i've had a few accidents.. although my kids are really catching the drift on the housetraing stuff.. you just have to read the right signs.. toby yelps and barks when he has to go which is great.. but rusty doesn't.. :-\

but you learn on the fly.. that double poop thing was a shocker to me.. but now i've catched the drift on it.. ha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast